We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pepo Klaic: Great Private Guide for Montenegro & Bosnia

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
54 reviews
Pepo Klaic: Great Private Guide for Montenegro & Bosnia

Just wanted to add to what many others have already said -- Pepo Klaic was a fantastic guide!

Like many on TA, I learned about him through the Rick Steves guidebook and he definitely lived up to Rick's review.

We booked Pepo for 2 daytrips:

(1) Montenegro: He started by driving us up to the top of the mountain for the cable-car view back onto the Old City. Pepo fought in the war, so shared lots of personal reflections and history about the siege -- we learned quite a bit about the city's history while he pointed out different sights from the mountain top. Incredible views. Then we drove into Montenegro to visit the Bay of Kotor. The scenery was gorgeous and the boat trip to the two islands in the Kotor Bay was especially memorable.

(2) Bosnia: The next day, we traveled to Mostar which has to be one of the most fascinating places I've ever been. While the main reason we hired a guide was because we didn't want to have to rent a car & try to navigate, I really think we wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of our trip if we hadn't had Pepo's commentary. Especially in Mostar, Pepo really helped us understand the complex social, political, and economical factors that had and were continuing to shape the city. He also tried to present a fair & balanced perspective -- we appreciated his honesty and his candor.

Plus, Pepo was a very friendly guy. We did quite a bit of driving together and conversation always flowed nicely. I'd strongly recommend him.

His contact information: pepoklaic at yahoo.com

---

For those trying to decide between the Montenegro and the Bosnia daytrip options, I'd think hard about what you're hoping to get out of the day. While I'm really happy that we did both day trips, they're quite different:

The Montenegro daytrip was much more relaxing. The drive was shorter & the emphasis was on the spectacular scenery. The Bay of Kotor was very beautiful, as was the coastline drive back up to Croatia. You can have a leisurely lunch in Kotor and make a very relaxing day of it.

The Bosnia trip was much more thought-provoking. Mostar is a really fascinating place and, walking around the city, you get a sense of what it must be like for these three different religious & ethnic groups to try and co-exist in one place. I learned a lot on this daytrip.

Both are great options and I highly recommend Pepo if you're looking for a guide!

1. Re: Pepo Klaic: Great Private Guide for Montenegro & Bosnia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, June 22, 2013