We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik with baby

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik with baby

We're travelling to Dubrovnik in early September with our 10-month-old daughter. A few questions:

- Where to stay? Given that we'd some combination of proximity to the Old Town and quiet, do we stay in the Old Town itself, Ploce or Pile, or farther away? How noisy is it in Old Town at night?

- How easy is it to find organic baby food (pureed vegetables and fruit)?

- Does anyone have experience with Apartments Ivana? Or have any specific recommendations for a great apartment under 80 euros?

Thanks!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

The old part of town is filled with tourists having a very good time until the wee hours of the morning. The noise level at night is hard to handle for adults let alone a small baby. If you choose the Ploce, you need to know how many steps to reach the apartments. There are some nice areas in the Pile, but not close to the bay, again another nite time party site for many. One of the nicest areas is called Kapalice, it's just above the Hilton Imperial Hotel.

In the 4 years that I've lived here, I have never seen any baby food in our grocery stores, let alone organic. We do have one organic store which is located just across the patio area from a big store called tommy, it is Bio & Bio. They may have something, again I am not sure. When you find a rental, you may need to ask if the owner will supply a blender to make your own baby food.

Also suggest that you contact Michelle from Dubrovnik apartment source to see what they have left for next month. They are a good reliable company for rentals and I used their services prior to moving here permanently. Ask Michelle about baby food, she just had a new baby.

www.dubrovnikapartmentsource.com

Edited: 12:57 am, August 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Thanks very much! I've e-mailed Michelle, and struck Old Town accommodations off my list.

And thanks also for the advice about Ploce -- normally 200 steps is a nice way to work off a good meal, but with 22-pound bundle of joy plus stroller it's much more of a commitment.

Croatia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

I know Konzum in Orebic has baby food, not organic but they do have it so maybe the Konzum in Dub would have it as well as its a much bigger store than here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Thanks! And that tip led me to this blog post from the aforementioned Michelle:

dubrovniktravelinfo.com/2010/01/supermarkets…

Hope to get good news on the baby-food front -- not relishing spending precious vacation time pureeing veggies, nor schlepping glass jars from home.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Well, we're back, and it turns out that organic baby food is easy to find in Croatia. In Dubrovnik, the Tommy supermarket across the road from our apartment in Lapad had a decent selection, including the organic Hipp brand. The DM drugstore chain has even more variety, including organic food from Germany, and even in tiny Lumbarda the supermarket had Hipp jars.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

In 1983 there was a just one kind of baby food in entire Yugoslavia. My daughter almost died because of it. Looks like there was some progress there....

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Hello,

we are traveling with our 9 months old to Dubrovnik this summer, we have find an apartment just outside the old town, i ve asked the renter to send us photos of the stairs, it looks manageable with the stroller. How did you like the beach with your 9 months old, do you recommend the city beach or should we go else where? we are not planning on renting a car..Any tips, suggestion. Anything you wish you would have know before going.. Im originally from France, and we are going to France prior to Dubrovnik, first big trip for our baby girl!

Thank you !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

One thing to keep in mind about beaches on the Dalmatian coast: many are pebble rather than sand, so not ideal for a baby. We didn't spend much time on the beach in Dubrovnik, and I can't remember if it was pebble or sand, but I just looked it up and it seems there IS a sandy beach in Lapad, a 10-minute bus ride away from the Old Town: http://www.dubrovnik-guide.net/lapad.htm

We also spent a few days on Korcula, in Lumbarda, which has a couple of lovely sandy beaches with shallow water, which our daughter loved. (My Lumbarda trip report is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303810-i9937-k490… )

Tips and suggestions:

I'm sure you already know to bring a compact umbrella stroller, not a bigger one. (We love our Uppababy G-Luxe.) On Dubrovnik buses they expect you to fold your stroller, so be prepared.

On the recommendation of several TA members, we stayed in Lapad, which was quiet and much more stroller-friendly than the more hilly neighbourhoods closer to Old Town. It also has a lovely pedestrian area with lots of patios and great views of the sea.

At the risk of stating the obvious, don't plan too much. Baby will get tired of being schlepped around in the stroller. We spent a lovely afternoon on Lokrum island - a great place to get away from the crowds and the heat.

Croatians love babies. Chances are your daughter will get lots of attention.

All in all, our trip was easier than we expected, perhaps because our daughter proved to be a great traveler (whew!).

That's about all I can think of for now. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more specific questions.

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Could you tell me the list of hotels you would recommend in LAPAD

I am traveling with 22 months old in oct

also is it easy to book to go the island ? need to book in advance ?

many thanks

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,623 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovnik with baby

Which island do you mean?