We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earliest and latest month when weather warm for swimming?

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Topic
Earliest and latest month when weather warm for swimming?

I'm planning to go to the Dalmatian Coast in 2006 and am flexible about dates. I enjoy warm weather and want to swim and snorkel while there, but hope to avoid the heavy tourist season. Is the water warm enough in May (for most people) to be comfortable swimming? If so, how about April? October? I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Tour The Game Of Thrones
Walking Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Explore Dubrovnik by Boat
Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Eco Tuk Tours Dubrovnik
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Dubrovnik Transfer Services
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Earliest and latest month when weather warm for swimming?

The swimming season starts at a different time every year, but always for most people by the end of May. In the heat wave of 2003 I was swimming by end of April, but that was a rare year. Most years I start swimming in mid-May. This is in Dubrovnik mind you, so be aware that the sea warms up sooner in the south (Dubrovnik-Split) than in the north (Opatija, Istra).

To avoid the tourists I say go at the end of May or early June, or if you definately need warm water and no crowds go in October. I know people in Dubrovnik that were still swimming even as late as last week.

2. Re: Earliest and latest month when weather warm for swimming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:48 am, December 19, 2005