We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik by car

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik by car

Hi all, we're planning to go back to Croatia this year for 15 days. So after visiting Cres, Krk and Plitvice lakes in 2005, this time we're heading to Southern Dalmatia. The itinerary is not set yet, but we'd surely like to stay a few days in Dubrovnik. We will be travelling by car, since we'll probably take the ferry from Ancona to Split and then we'll drive towards South. On my favourite guide I read that it'd be advisable to stay overnight in the Old Town, but I guess it will be quite difficult to find a parking in the city centre.

Does any of you have an idea on how to handle the whole car issue in Dubrovnik? Maybe suggesting a decent accomodation (max 60 € per room per night) that keeps into account the fact that we have a car?

Thanks a lot in advance.

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dubrovnik by car

I like your idea of Trogir north of Split. Try to make that work. As for the places, I would have to take a look at my atlases. I do not have them here at work, but if you look at any of the places that register on a Croatian atlas, you will find alot of towns that no one mentions on here. They are on the sea...and either the highway on the coast goes right through them since there is no more room than that between the coast and the mountains, or there is enough room for the highway to go by it. They are really numerous and I have never stayed in them, but they usually have "sobe/zimmer/room" signs. If you wanted to, you could take a break at a fruit stand and ask to see if there are places to stay....some places are really that little and they all know each other.

As an example...check this map out (http://www.hr/maps/cities)...see the large cities? Those are obviously the main spots to see in the country for one reason for another. Between all of those bigger places...there are smaller places...and places that are even smaller than that!!

You can compare a bit more with this site...to see the difference. I would try to find a hard copy of the most detailed map of Croatia (guide book, atlas) and go from there. I just spent some time looking for some examples online but this is all I found.

http://www.multimap.com/

Go to Croatia on that site..they actually have city maps there too that might help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dubrovnik by car

I just got back from Croatia this week and we had a car in Dubrovnik. We stayed in an apartment near the Ploce gate and it had a little parking area. I found the aprtment on Dubrovnik-online. I picked that area because all of the best hotels are there and I figured if they were there, that's where I wanted to be!! The view from our balcony was awesome!! We had a 2 bedroom for 65E per night(off season). We went to Montenegro for the day and loved it! We drove to Korcula and took the ferry from Orebic. Loved Korcula. Very beautiful. We ended up taking the ferry from Vela Luka to Split with the car. For us, it saved a lot of time. It left at 6:30a and arrived in Split at 9:10a. We went to Trogir and found it very charming. Just my opinion, but Ston was a little disappointing. Good luck and have a great time. I wish I was going back for 15 days!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dubrovnik by car

Hi, thanks again for your replies. I find this site & forum extremely helpful, I could not live without it anymore!! :)

However, yesterday I had a look at a more detailed atlas and probably decided to go from Trpanj to Ploce by ferry, since that would save us a lot of driving time. Then we also probably decided that we're not going to book after Korcula, we'll just see how we feel and act accordingly.

Last time we were in Croatia we only booked the first part of our stay on Cres, then we thought to visit various places on the mainland, but when we left Cres we felt again a desperate need of relaxing on a beach... and after going to Plitvice lakes we ended up staying another week in Krk... So this time we won't make any plan for the 2nd part of the trip and will decide according to the mood of the moment.

Thanks again and if anything else comes to your mind... just let mw know!!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Dubrovnik by car

Polpetta...let us know how things worked out for you with that approach to your trip. I have always thought of just arriving in Dubrovnik...and letting everything king of fall into place and not have much of an organized plan. After you return, please let all of us know how it went and if there was any difficulties when it came down to your accommodations and the like. Have an awesome trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dubrovnik by car

ok! I really hope we won't have any problem...! I'll keep you up to date and thx again for your advice!!!

Cheers :)

Cecilia

16. Re: Dubrovnik by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, August 25, 2009