We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

Mount Lebanon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

Hello,

What is the best area to stay in Dubrovnik or surrounding if I am planning on going on daily tours to Montenegro, Medujorje, Mostar, Korcula etc...?

Is it a good idea to stay in an area close to the main bus station and the Cruz port?

I will not be renting a car but will take daily buses.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones...
628 Reviews
from $66.70*
Best Seller
Montenegro Full-Day Trip from...
763 Reviews
from $56.76*
Best Seller
Game of Thrones Extended Tour
117 Reviews
from $56.80*
7 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

If you're planning on a lot of day trips out, then yes, Gruz would be ideal because that's where the bus terminal is. If you're going in to Old City then it's just a couple of kms away and accessible by plenty of buses that run along the main street. It's can be noisy at night though.

Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

Personally, I find it hard to beat staying in the Old Town for the ambiance and convenience. And I don't think it really matters if your plan is to take the local buses. Buses between the Old Town and Gruz are frequent and easy, and you can buy a bus card which brings the costs down. The Old Town bus station also has direct buses to/from the airport and other places.

If you are taking group tours such as to Mostar, then Old Town is clearly better in my opinion. Massive options available there. There will be a few tours picking up cruise ship passengers at Gruz, but they may not be convenient for you.

Mentioned in this post
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Old Town
Old Town
14,923 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
59,301 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

The Gruz area just isn't appealing to me..I would stay in the Ploce area or in the Old Town.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

I cannot imagine why any guest would consider staying in the Gruz area. First choice is the old town or either Pile or Ploce sides. Both are lovely areas and close enough to walk to the old town and enjoy our historical and cultural sites.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

It depends on what you want to do. We stayed in old town in early September, and while it was great to be in the center, sometimes the crowds were a bit much! This is coming from a person who works in Manhattan, NYC! There were times we had to walk at an extremely slow pace on the narrow streets because it was difficult to maneuver through the throngs of tourists. If you are going to spend most of your time outside the city walls, then you may want to consider avoiding the crowds.

Asheville
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

Hi can you recommend a small place to stay in the old part of the city. I am a solo traveler & wish to do business & book directly with a guest house, hotel or hostel

Thank you

Elizabeth

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik

Hi. We are currently staying in the port area but closer to the old town. We just walk up and over a hill. Doesnt take long. We are also closer to La Pad here. It is restful coming back to our lovely apartment after the mayhem of the crowds in the Old Town. There are also excellent restaurants around.

Reply to: Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted