We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

Newcastle
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

Hi,

We are travelling to Dubrovnik in July/August and would like to travel to Kotor by local bus. Is this a good idea with two young children or has anyone a better suggestion?

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones...
628 Reviews
from $66.80*
Best Seller
Montenegro Full-Day Trip from...
762 Reviews
from $56.85*
Best Seller
Game of Thrones Extended Tour
113 Reviews
from $56.90*
London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

It is a lovely if somewhat lengthy journey on what can be a very crowded bus. http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com

Newcastle
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

So, would you say a private bus trip would be more appropriate i.e.less crowded, more comfortable? Do you know how long that might take? Thanks for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

Given the choice I would hire a car and drive round which would give you the option of stopping off where where feel like it and no pressure to get back to the bus/coach. If you want a guide when you get to Kotor you can hire one locally, but with young children you probably will not want to be trailing around behind a guide.

Mentioned in this post
Kotor
Kotor
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

intrepid

this is a fun journey- the local buses are not crowded whatsoever. - they are coachlike and you can catch the bus at the bus station behind the supermarket in gruz.

The journey takes approx 2 and a half hours - its a great way to see the country side - its very comfortable and A LOT cheaper than going the tourist way.

There is a few twists and turns coming into Kotor because you are basically driving through mountains but the scenery is breathtaking. I would recommend it first, because you are mingling with the locals, and second because its a heck of a lot cheaper than the "tours". The bus is like any bus in any city - long distance drive - coach like bus.

I have actually a post further down on Kotor if you would like to read

Mentioned in this post
Kotor
Kotor
London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

each time I have taken the bus it has been busy... must be my bad luck :-(

Not sure about the timetables for July/ August this year but from memory bus leaves Dubrovnik at 1030 and get you to Kotor at about 1300. Return bus leaves Kotor at 1500.

Pretty pictures of buses at www.autoboka.com

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Kotor
Kotor
Newcastle
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

Many thanks, Whales and Balkan Addict, for your advice and time. Very helpful and practical. Will definitely do this trip.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

I am very interested in this as well. I had read some place that someone hired a private car and said the driver was great. I am very interested in doing this, if anyone has info on how to do such a thing.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

If you take the local bus then, you would only have a couple of hours in Kotor. Is it better therefore to overnight in Kotor or would a couple of hours suffice to see everything?

Mentioned in this post
Kotor
Kotor
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

the old town is quite compact, so you would get to see all of that no problem and sit for a while outside the old town by the water before you go back.

This is why we stayed overnight = we wanted to relax and enjoy the place, but you will definitely see it in a couple of hours. Also, you will spend most of the journey on the bus - if you do it in one day.

Its very cheap to stay there.

I think in another post I had written about pulling into the bus station in Kotor - it might seem scary wtih the broken windows and graffiti and people outside, but its not - its just really poor - the old town is 5 minutes walk to the bus station - you actuall pass it right before the buss pulls in.

As I said we got a taxi back the next day for 70 Euro - the man was lovely and brought us to his house for some fruit for the journey before we set off. The taxi rank is just outside the old town to the right.

Mentioned in this post
Kotor
Kotor
10. Re: Travel on bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, April 30, 2007