We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filling in 3 days in Split

australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Filling in 3 days in Split

Hello All,

Family of 5 from Australia (mum/dad/Grandma 70, kids 10 & 13 ). We will be in split for 3 nights late September. We are looking at options and things to see and do and possibly island hopping. We arrive in Split after Dubrovnik then heading to Zadar - Plitvice - Zagreb before flying onwards to Paris/UK and a 14 day cruise.

I have hired a car ( might be crazy ) so we can get around. I am looking for some ideas on where and what to do in SPLIT. I am considering a day trip to Hvar or Brac as well. It is hard trying to keep kids excited, not killing off Grandma and as they say happy wife - happy life.

Suggestions always appreciated. I was thinking of visiting Trogir on way to Zadar unless it warrants a full day trip on ts own.

I have seen a lot of the world but I am so excited to be visiting Croatia. Something special about what i am seeing.

Thank You.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Filling in 3 days in Split

Hi Trogir will suit your needs and you have enough time to visit while moving to Zadar and Plitvice. Go to daily excursions to island Hvar and Korcula.

Best from Croatia,

Croatia Destination Host

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filling in 3 days in Split

A good idea from Split is Omis, where there is a Dino Park, an animatronic dinosaur wonderland perfect for your younger kids...and when you have done that, the back streets of Omis or even rafting on the Cetina,a 70 year old who is fit will love it, could be great fun, Omis has beaches, all sorts of history, an is an hour by car south...you will actually come to it when you drive from Dubrovnik.....if you dont take the highway from Dubrovnik, make sure you take turns driving because the coastal route hugs the seashore for a long while and the curvy road is wonderful, but not for the driver...so switch drivers so everyone can ooh ans ahh. Stop at Ston on the way from Dubrovnik too....one of the longest walls in Europe to explore, salt pans still going strong since Roman times, and the best oysters on the planet.

OK, in Split, rent an apartment, ditch the car because parking is tough, the center is pedestrian only...so rent one way to Split, should be no problem from such places as nova car rental, unirent or others. Take the kids to Trogir on the water taxi from Split one day....the ferry to Solta or Brac for swimming, to Hvar is longer but surely worthwhile. There are day "fish picnics" to the Blue Lagoon for swimming, with fish fry on board, about $60 each less for kids...a nice way to spend the day. Walking the Palace with or without a guide is a must....rent a bunch of bikes and go to Marjan Hill park...safe, fun and you can swim, change clothes, get a bite to eat. Plitvice is a 4 hour drive from Split...pretty much far from anywhere...STRONGLY suggest an overnight because by the time you get there around noon so does the rest of the world and it can be crowded, despite its enormous size. google as much as you can. www.visitsplit.com is the official Split tourist site. for Omis, google it to get an idea of what is there. Enjoy...you have an ambitious itinerary, so dont try to see it all.

Driving is very easy esp., on the highways which locals do not use since it is a toll road. So fast, smooth, very few cars....the coastal roads are busier, but easy driving, not to worry! Enjoy~!

3. Re: Filling in 3 days in Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 11, 2015