We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest car hire after cruise?

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Closest car hire after cruise?

We arrive in Split from Dubrovnik on a Katarina cruise. Just wondering where we can collect a car hire from. It looks like we have two choices - Split airport or downtown. We want to drive to Mostar directly after the cruise. Looks like downtown is closest to the ferry terminal but not sure which would be easiest to get into and out of.

Any advice, please?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

The ferry terminal is just on walking distance from the downtown, and the airport is far outside city, about 45 mim driving. (or by bus). So it is more convenient to pick up car in downtown. Only in case that you will fly out from the Split airport you may consider to hire car on the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

Thanks Bobyyy. Is it easy to drive out of Split? It looks like we will be hiring the car from Hertz.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

Do you know where the Katarina Line boats dock at Split?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

You are welcome.

It is not difficult to drive out of Split. it can be crowdy in rush hours and it is not easy to find a parking like in many European cities.

All cruisers dock in pasanger port, I don't know exactly position inside the port.

If you have a lot of baggage you can take a taxi.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

There is no point going to the airport to get the car if your destination is Mostar which is in the opposite direction. Ensure your car has the green card so that it can be taken into other countries. Also, if you want an automatic car book early. However, it is likely to be quite stressful driving through Split as it is a large city of 250,000 people and you will be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. On the plus side the signs are all very clear and Croatian drivers are quite reasonable with tourist drivers. I have actually driven the wrong way on a one-way street in the middle of Split and other than being a source of humour to everyone no-one found it a big deal. Take it easy and you will be fine. Hertz should help you with your route to get out of the city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

Thank you both for your advice.

We are both ok with driving manual cars, but might book an automatic to make things easier. The quote I have is through rentalcars.com and they have advised that the car company is Hertz. I have read good and bad reviews for Hertz in Croatia, but this seems to be the same for most car hire companies. I have asked about taking the car into B/H and have been advised if we use the A8 we don't need written approval. Not sure if this is just the road between Split and Dubrovnik, so will have to enquire about the green card. Thanks for advising me of this. Drop off fee at different location is €40 paid locally.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks again.

7. Re: Closest car hire after cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 30, 2014