We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

Hello...i am leaving with my husband on thursday for 2.5 weeks in croatia. Our itinerary is: Split 2 days, Hvar 4 days, Brac 4 days, Makarska 5 days, back to Split for the last 2. Our hotels are booked, etc.

We are told we CANNOT miss Dubrovnik. I am 5 mos pregnant so don't want to do TOO much running around. What is the easiest way for us to get there? We were thinking from Brac (cut it to 3 days) take ferry to Makarska and rent car .. drive to Dubrovnik for 2 days, and then head back to makarska as scheduled?? Does that sound feasible?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

sorry to get you excited and change your itinerary. If you will be going back to HR then you can save Dubrovnik for next time. If not consider cutting down your time in Makarska. There is also a bus line autotrans takes about 3-3.5 hours from Makarska to Dub.

web site: http://www.autotrans.hr

I went last July when I was 5 mo preg. It does get pretty hot in the sun. drink lots of fluids and find shade. I had a great time and never got sick. Also consider doing a day trip to Trogir from Split.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

This does involve a long day but Atlas (one of the big agencies in that area) do offer a day trip to Dubrovnik from Bol and Hvar Town which involves a boat to just below Makarska and then a coach to Dubrovnik. You get about 4 hours in Dub which is enough to do the main sites before heading back. You will probably get something similar from Makarska which may be more relaxed, but make sure the coach has working air con!

If you want to be under your own steam, then renting a car is feasible, but make sure you know where you're staying in Dub since the Dubrovnik festival starts on 10th and goes on through August so good accommodation will be at a premium.

NZ
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

if it came down to it, I would cancel Markaska and spend the time in Dubrovnik. We went to both places on our holiday in June and although Makarska was pleasant, it wasn't much compared to Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik is wonderful but you could see it in two days really. We took a bus from Dubrovnik to Split and passed through Markaska on the way. That trip took about 5 hours. We also spent a night in Makarska as part of our boat trip later in the week. We seemed to see most of it in one evening.

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

Hi Inverell-

We are going to Croatia in mid Sept and will be staying in both Split and Dubrovnik. We will fly from Rome to Split, stay 3 nights (2 full days) and will then rent a car on the 3rd day and drive from Split to Dubrovnik and stay 3 nights. I hope staying a these 2 locations will give us enough time to see the highlights of these 2 cities ,including Hvar Island , while we are in SPlit. Is there anything else we can see with this itinerary

Most important, however, is you say that the bus ride from Dubrovnik to Split took 5 hours, was that becuase you stopped along the way? WE got on the ViaMichelin site to get driving directions and it claims it only takes 2 1/2 hours, however, we read in a travel guide that it took 4.5 hours. What is the ride like, is the view nice? are the roads well paved? is there a lot of traffic during the week?

Looking forward to any comments you can provide

NZ
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

Hi Dizzyliz30.

I think you will find two full days in Split quite busy if you want to go to Hvar as well because that will be a day in itself . so you will have just one day in Split. You should see Diocletian's Palace which is right in the centre of town near the port. If you are picking up the car when you arrive at Split airport, you might consider visiting Trogir. It is very close to the airport and is a very lovely old town. Other than those two things, I am not sure what else one does in Split, apart from have coffee along the waterfront or wander about the old town. Maybe other people can suggest other things to do.

As far as the road trip is concerned, I think you should be able to do the drive in less than 5 hours. The bus stopped in Makarska for a while as well as Neum in Bosnia for half an hour or so and also in a another town closer to Split so that is why it took five hours. The road is a sealed two lane highway (one lane in each direction) and it follows the coast almost all the way. The scenery is very pretty. The only thing we noticed was that the drivers seemed inclined to cut corners and pass too close to a corner. Happy travels!!

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

Hi Inverell-

Thanks so much for the info. It is interesting that you mentioned Trogir , we had a family picnic yesterday and one of my Dad's cousins had traveled to Croatia as well and mentioned Trogir as a nice place to visit.

Our cousin also told us to visit Kotor, Montenegro while we are in Dubrovnik. He said it is very scenic and is only 2 hours by car. Since they were on an organized tour of Croatia and we will be on our own, i was wondering if you had any commments regarding a day visit here.

We heard about the aggressive drivers in Croatia , my Dad is looking forward to the experience, go figure.

In regards to Hvar island, do you have any recommendations on how to get there from Split. Are there day tours or charter boats that can take you back and forth? Do you know how much they cost? The reason I ask is that I got on the Jadrolinja website and the only schedules I could find would not be practical for us. It appears that the boats leave Splitt late in the morning early afternoon and there does not appear to be a return boat for the rest of the day that would allow us to spend 5 or more hours in Hvar, which would mean we would have to spend the night in Hvar.

Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks again

7. Re: Getting to Dubrovnik help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 13, 2009