We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

Hi all,

My wife and I will have four hours between arriving by bus from Dubrovnik and our ferry to Hvar. We will also have four hours between arriving back from Hvar and departing Split by train. Both times it will be 12:00 to 16:00.

Any favorite spots for a relaxed lunch and coffee with a view in Split? Any short sights or activities worth checking out? We would like to be able to stay within a short walk or short taxi ride from the Bus/Train/Ferry area.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

sorry, but what train is departing Split at 16.00?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,464 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

I assume its the train they are leaving on!?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

well it actually leaves at 17:40.... but the times I gave were general.

Edited: 6:14 pm, July 18, 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

Diocletian's Palace is just 10 minutes from the ferry port - there's plenty of sight-seeing and places to eat right there.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

thanks barry, a very funny comment.

if you're taking a train from Split to Budapest, you might perhaps look into rather taking a bus to Zagreb and onwards to B-pest, as the train takes forever. i.e. you could hop in a bus to Zagreb asap as you disembark, check www.akz.hr, and then see Zagreb in the afternoon/evening, overnihgt, and then take a train to Budapest at 10 a.m.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

We have reserved our sleeper cab reservation already and I am aware of the 15 1/2 hour journey. It is actually our first ever train ride, and seems to be an interesting and different route. Your advice is good and we seriously considered bus or flight to Zagreb and overnighting there then onward to Budapest the next day, but we wanted to experience our first overnight train. I am sure after almost 16 hours we may decide that we should have taken advice like yours! Anyways, we will be sleeping (or trying to!) half the time anyways. I am guessing now that Croatia is in the EU there will be no passport check upon entering Hungary?

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
7. Re: 4 hours in Split - Twice! - Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 21, 2014