We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar or Bol?

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hvar or Bol?

Planning on visiting Croatia in June/July and can't decide between staying in Hvar or Bol. We're a couple with a 5 year old and like good food, beach, a charming place, nice evening walks... just a really beautiful place really.

Any recommendations? Our favourite place last time was Dubrovnik, just loved it. I initially thought of Bol as it's more laid back, but then thought Hvar might be more similiar to Dubrovnik's feel?? Does Hvar get too loud and boisterous now?

Many thanks.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hvar or Bol?

I think Hvar offers more for you...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hvar or Bol?

I agree with Hvar as it is more varied. Bol can be absolutely packed, especially in July (and August). Hvar can as well but the crowds seem to be more escapable.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hvar or Bol?

Another one for Hvar. Not just Hvar Town but the whole island of Hvar I prefered over Brac.

Edited: 7:20 pm, December 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hvar or Bol?

Great, thanks! Do you advise to stay in Hvar town? We'll probably be there in July as I find the water temperature of islands still cool in June, although I'll be in Europe for most of June/July so could go to Hvar in either month. We usually stay in apartments.

Also I'm trying to decide if we'll take the car there. What do you think? I know island roads can be narrow, steep and a bit scary going up and over mountains - I suppose Hvar is like this too?

BTW, I was initially going to visit Vis but as it's my husbands first visit to a Croatian island I thought maybe Hvar is the better option for a 'first-timer' to get the feel of a Croatian island in summer and bearing in mind he LOVED Dubrovnik. Do you think that sounds right?

Sorry about all the questions. thanks.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hvar or Bol?

Choose Vis. Beats both places and it is more authentic than Hvar

Durham
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hvar or Bol?

Hvar town is certainly a good choice if you want to see more beautiful Venetian architecture. The drawbacks are that it is not good for cars or beaches for children. In July it will also be quite busy and expensive. If you wanted to take a car and tour I think Brac would be a better choice. The roads are decent and the ferries more frequent and less expensive. Lovrecina beach on Brac is sandy and shallow so very good for a 5 year-old. I would not stay in Brac as its very touristy, but somewhere like Postira or Milna. Vis is fine too (Komisa better than Vis town) but no more authentic than a place like Postira.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hvar or Bol?

Hvar definitely. Bol only has famous beach.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hvar or Bol?

I have stayed in Hvar Town twice and I would stay there again. We didn't take a car to the island instead we hired one for a day and it was a lovely drive around the island. You could do that, it would be much easier than bringing one from the mainland. Apt22 is right Hvar probably will be busy in July but most of Croatia will be at that time of year. In my opinion Hvar overall is a much prettier island than Brac. Sorry to all the Brac lovers out there but I really didn’t think much of Brac or Bol, but that is just my opinion.

Edited: 7:45 pm, December 18, 2012
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hvar or Bol?

I just had a thought, I said that I would stay in Hvar Town again but I don't have a small child. Maybe there is another town on Hvar that might be more child friendly. You might have to do a search or someone else can help you. Also, don't forget the beaches aren't like ours.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hvar or Bol?

I would go to Vis and wherever you go I would go in June not July. Hvar Town is very geared up for partying in July and Bol is not much different (maybe a bit cheaper). I agree with comments about going to other parts of the islands - Jelsa on Hvar, Sutivan on Brac (which is a really nice island by the way). With a 5-year old I imagine a car might be a good idea - in which case I would say June again as the ferries can get very busy in July.