We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car travel from Split to Dubrovnik return

Melbourne Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Car travel from Split to Dubrovnik return

Hi guys, myself and a couple of mates are traveling to Split in August and intend on hiring a car to travel from Split to Dubrovnik and back again. As I am the only one in the group who can drive stick, it looks as though I will be doing all of the driving. Anyways, Im used to driving a right hand drive car in Australia so am a little concerned with the adjustment, is the travel between the destinations treacherous with cliffs and alike??

Additionally, I hear there is a zero tolerance on drink driving in Croatia. Although I would never consider drink driving, I will enjoy the nightlife during our trip and no doubt drive the following day, what is the blood alcohol level rules in Croatia?? I want to ensure I avoid a Croatian prison, would kinda put a downer on the trip. Thanks heaps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car travel from Split to Dubrovnik return

The drive is spectacular and although there are a lot of bendy bits its really not so tricky. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll get used to the change. The problem you'll have in August is the traffic which will be quite heavy. You are correct about the drink driving; it is zero tolerance so you would need to be very careful the morning after. I'm presuming you want to spend your time travelling down (otherwise just go on a coach from Split to Dubrovnik and back again)or as an alternative look at island hopping by ferry - drawbacks are speed, lugging your luggage around, the extra planning to book accomodation and fitting in with ferry timetables - but there are ferries that run from Split to Dubrovnik, via Hvar and Korcula (see www.jadrolinija.hr). Maybe island hop down and bus it back up?