We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Luck in Split

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Good Luck in Split

I am very excited to finally be visiting Croatia in September. I will be in Split for one day on a cruise stop. I plan to take a tour for at least half a day. I am wondering if there are any good luck symbols that are special to Croatians? It may sound strange, but I think things like that make great gifts. Also, any suggestions where I can find unique Croatian gifts near the port? Any gift ideas would be much appreciated, even if it isn't a good luck item. Thanks!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Luck in Split

I would advise you to try to find original lavender oil from Hvar somewhere in Split. While I lived there I had a store in hotel. Very popular item was amphora on the stand filled with lavender oil and sealed with the wax on top. Oil would evaporate slowly through the period of 1 year and the whole house would smell on lavender. My guests were coming back year by year and asking for the same thing - "amphora with oil". You would love if you can get original lavender oil. It smells 1000 stronger than any American so-called "lavender flagrance"...

As a love (maybe good luck) Croats are giving "licitarsko srce" heart shaped gingerbread cake decorated with small piece of mirror. Try to google "Licitarsko Srce" and see how it looks like.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Luck in Split

In total agreement here.

Loads of lavender oil and lavender bags in Split's green market - very good value too at about 10 kuna and they last a long time. The market is less than 5 mintues from the riva - to the right of the Riva outside the walls as you look with your back to the sea.

And the licitar hearts are now sold as non-food items that you can hang on the wall - usually with Croatia or the name of a town on them (I have 2 with Croatia and 1 with Trogir). They still look like gingerbread, iced/frosted with red with the name is spelt out with icing/frosting. They come with a protective cardboard wrapping. You should find them in the market too or small tourist shops. http://www.licitar.hr/en/souvenirs#souvenirs

Wine? The make a lot of very good wine but you may not get it home...

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Luck in Split

My American friends are crazy about our chocolate "Bajadera".

www.kras.hr/index.php…

It is made for more than 55 years...

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Luck in Split

THANK YOU! These are great ideas! And the licitar is perfect since I wanted something for wedding gifts that had meaning in another country from ours. Perfect! I am not sure that the ship will be near the riva, it is a cruise ship, not a river boat, will I still be near the market place? It all sounds wonderful, and the real lavender oil and the chocolates will make great gifts too. Seems I will have to choose a 1/2 day tour now so I have time to shop!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Luck in Split

You can get Bajadera over Amazon.com in USA:

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1…

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Luck in Split

Split port is very deep and many of the cruise ships moor straight to it. The port is on top of the Riva, the market, the bus station etc. You should be able to check with your cruise if you will be mooring at Split or using tenders.

Kras chocolate is great - we buy the Dorina bars (loads of different flavours) to eat ourselves and I am always buying Bajadera for a Croatian friend - the boxes look very smart. Available in any good supermarket.

Croatia
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Luck in Split

you can also buy souvenirs made from the stone from Island Brac. It is known throughout the world - Dioklecian's palace in Split, the White House and Pope's altar were made from that stone.

8. Re: Good Luck in Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 17, 2013