We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive split to plitvice

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
drive split to plitvice

do you know how long the drive is from Split to Plitvice?

On the return drive from Plivice Lakes to Split are there any stops well worth taking? I love kayaking, snorkeling, ...

also, are the ruins in Salona worth a visit?

lots of questions I know...thank you!

We Adventure
Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Tour Split
River Rafting & Tubing
Given2Fly Adventures
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
61,069 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive split to plitvice

The drive will be around three hours. Zadar might be worth a stop on the way back. Also I think the ruins at Salona are pretty neat and interesting to me. We also went to the fortress at Klis and I enjoyed that too.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive split to plitvice

We looked at both Plitvice and Krka National Park from Split, as both are large parks with beautiful waterfalls. Plitvice from Split is around 3 - 4 hour drive and Krka is about 1 ½ hours.

I’m not sure how your time. So I thought I’d just mention the option of Krka. I really can’t compare the two, not having visited Plitvice. For us, we just didn’t have enough time to go to Plitvice so we went to Krka instead and found it to be quite beautiful and didn’t end up feeling like we missed out because we didn’t get to Plitvice.

For Krka, we travelled to the town of Skradin and then took about a 15 minute boat ride on the river into the park. In the park, the first waterfall are you reach is Skradinski Buk. It is surrounded by wooden paths, like in Plitvice, that can be walked around in about an hour or hour and a half viewing numerous waterfalls. There are also a few exhibits and restaurants here. Different than Plitivice, you can spend some time swimming in these falls. You can also take a boat trip to either a monastery on an island (2 hours) or another waterfall area (Rolski Slap) and the monastery (4 hours).

Good luck planning your trip. We’re back just over a week now and really missing the beauty of Croatia.

Edited: 12:48 pm, May 18, 2012
Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: drive split to plitvice

Where did you decide on going? I am unsure about visiting the two waterfalls? We have a day spare and we wanted to visit Plitvice, though now wondering if we should look at Krka instead? If you went with a tour company which one did you use, or did you drive?

Thanks

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive split to plitvice

Three plus hours to Plitvice and only an hour to Krka.

Plitivice is more spectacular--but requires much more time. Strognly urge staying overnight at a B and B.

Krka is a fast trip by expresshighway to Skradin. 2-3 hours in the park; and unlike Plitvice you can swim near the waterfalls.

If you had to to go to one it must be Plitvice!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive split to plitvice

It is really easy to go to Plitvice from Split, but its quite for a daytrip, I would also say try Krka if you do not want accommodation.

Although the area is nice to drive around, specially when you are off the highway, just watch out for speed limits.

6. Re: drive split to plitvice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 18, 2014