We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Arcata, CA
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Greetings,

I am starting to plan a trip to Croatia for next summer and will probably travel there in late August/early September. At this point I am thinking that Split is the front runner out of the three (Split, Hvar, Korcula), but figured I'd ask around on this board if anyone else had different advice. I am a 23 year old guy, that will probably be traveling with one or two other friends. We seek a combination of partying/night life, beautiful beaches/nature, as well as historical and cultural interests. It seems that Split is the best compromise with the partying, beaches, and Diocletians Palace, but at the same time Hvar sounds like it may have as many things to offer too.

So as well as advice in regards of where to go, also recommendations of things to do or places to check out are appreciated too. Also, when does the "high season" tend to end, I want there to be some action and excitment, but I am not too interested in large crowds, long lines, as well as not being able to find a hotel room. Do things start to mellow out at the end of August, and will finding a hotel room be a really challenging task? Is it a must to prebook hotels?

Anyway, thanks for any info. or advice,

Peace and Respect.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Late August is the great choice /end of the high season/; for that period you don't have to book in advance, but, if you want to book hotels, do it; anyhow, Split, Hvar, Bol, Trogir could be good choice for you; as regards Korcula I like it very much, but not for its night life... since you have cultural and historical interests, go to Korcula for a day and of course, don't miss Dubrovnik; you could try to book a flight to Split and from Dubrovnik...

How long are you going to stay???

bye

jeanne

usa
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Korcula is a beautiful place but does not have the nightlife found in Bol, or Hvar. Makarska also is pretty lively, but I would go to Bol or Hvar if I were you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,216 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

I would also suggest Hvar with the choices you gave. And as americroat just said, Bol might be a great option too--- a great beach and some pretty good nightlife. Split does have a lot of historical things, but the beaches right in Split won't be as good as what you would find out on the islands. And Korcula seemed pretty mellow, so I don't think that will fit into what you are looking for.

Arcata, CA
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Thanks for the responses,

I appreciate the advice, and would like to know more specifically why you might recommend Hvar over Split, if I were to have to choose only one. I was under the impression from what I've read (mostly "Lonely Planet"), that Diocletians Palace in Split is such an amazing place that it is a "must see", so I wonder if that alone should make me pick Split over Hvar?? I am more of a mellow, laid back type of guy, although I want to do some partying, I'm not really looking for a really trendy scene. The LP guide book made Hvar sound like a really ritz, rich kind of a place more so then Split, would you say that's accurate? Also I was wonder how far from Split are the nice beaches/islands is it an easy day trip away or a serious effort to get to them? Oh yeah, finally... Would 4 nights in Split or Hvar be too long for either place, could or should one do both places? I'm definetly planning 4 or 5 nights in Dubrovnik as well.

Thanks for any info. or adivce.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,216 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Though I think that Split is a nice place to spend a night or two,. it is just too big of a place for me. I think there are some 400,000 plus people in the metro area of Split. Yes Diocletian's Palace is nice, but not nice enough to spend too much time there. Just my opinion.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

Barry's right; if you want to see only Diokletian's Palace, 1 day is enough, but if you want to "go out" and know our style of life and our people, then you can stay more time - it depends if you'll like "us" or not... so, I'd book in Split 1 or 2 nights, then you can decide "what next"

if you decide to stay in Split, just let me know and I will inform you about the places with the nice and decent night life...

bye

jeanne

usa
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

I would agree with Barry and Jeanne. Split is a nice place and I would spend 1-2 days there max. Take the ferry to Brac, Hvar, or Korcula for an island experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

HVAR!!!!

I am a 23 year old girl, who was travelling with friends, and was basically looking for the same things as you. We went to Split first (and stayed there for 3 nights). This was apaprently far longer than anyone usually stays there (so our hostel told us) and when our hostel registered us with the tourist police, we were given a special Split card which gave us free entry into the museums (as a thankyou for staying so long). We went to them (out of sheer boredom), but it was not a highlight. Split is certainly not a party town, and the beaches are very average. A day is all you need there.

We then went to Hvar for 3 days and LOVED it. We wished we had more time there. The beaches are great, the nightlife fantastic, and it was just full of backpackers while we were there (which was fine by us).

Unfortunately I have not been to Korcula and cannot comment. But everyone my age I have spoken with said that Hvar was the best.

While I was there (June), there was no need to pre-book accommodation. Plenty of people are ready when you get off the ferry/bus waiting to take you to accommodation. :)

Tadworth, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

We spent a week in Split, and whilst the historic centre and port are very attractive and interesting, agree a couple of days there is enough. The extensive general urban area of Split is quite horrible and busy really, with industry, high rise concrete flats, and nothing very attractive at all. However you can visit some nice places, like Trogir, from Split. Think Hvar would be a better base, provided the weather is OK. If you do stay in Split, make sure it's in the centre.

10. Re: Split, Hvar, or Korcula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 11, 2009