We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

So i got a wild hair this morning and decided to go to the Ukraine, so i bought a plane ticket. now, i am doing some research about Kharkov at the end of August for nine days, and i was wondering if someone could give me a good run down on what to expect.

1. How expensive is it there, and approximately how much money i should bring with me.

2. Some cool places to visit and things , and do not necessarily need any bars, but it might be helpful if i am bored at night.

3. How mush Ukrainian/Russian do i need to know (last time i was in the Ukraine i had a translator).

4. What to watch out for, i know it cant be any worse then NYC or Rome.

Any an all assistance will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
44 Favorite Place
$$ - $$$, Eastern European, Ukrainian, Bar
Chekhov Restaurant
$$$$, European, Russian, Central European
Mindal Lounge Cafe
$$ - $$$, Italian, Japanese, Seafood
Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka...
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

Kharkiv is cheap. You will manage with 500-700 usd there.

Kharkiv is not a tourist destination. It is an indusrial post soviet city. In fact, I would recommend you to visit other cities in Ukraine, such as Kiev, Odessa or Lviv.

Safety is pretty decent in Kharkiv. Stay in the center, not on the outskirts of the city. A good hotel I know there is Hotel 19. They have an adjacent good restaurant called Abajour.

Young people in Kharkiv speak English, old people most likely not. You will manage without a translator. Use google translate as well as prepare for your trip (such as maps, print outs with addresses and phones and tickets) in advance.

Edited: 5:19 pm, June 14, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
Lviv
Lviv
Lviv Oblast, Ukraine
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

Thank you for giving me so info on the city, i will be visiting Kiev on this trip also. I have been to Odessa in the past and i am trying to visit as many different cities as possible, a friend had recommended Kharkov so i had decided to go and visit. I do many spontaneous things so this was a little different.

Mentioned in this post
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
Kiev, Ukraine
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Lviv, Odessa, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

>Kharkiv is not a tourist destination. It is an indusrial post soviet city.

Yuliya K, I cannot completely agree with you

Despite Kharkiv is really quite industrial and technically can be classified to the post-Soviet industrial cities, but unlike other boring post-Soviet industrial cities - Kharkiv is not boring.

Kharkiv is fancy, mostly because of containing very strong non-industrial background and being not only industrial center, but also scientific and educational center.

On my taste it's the #5 among worth to see cities in Ukraine. Obviously Kharkiv is less interesting than "the grand three" Lviv-Kyiv-Odessa and less interesting than small but full of old artifacts Kamyanets-Podilsky. But at the same time - Kharkiv is more insteresting than any other city of Ukraine excluding Lviv-Kyiv-Odessa - Kamyanets-Podilsky.

I even dare to say - Kharkiv is slightly more insteresting than Chernivtsi (which is #6 in my personal rating among worth to see cities in Ukraine, immediately after Kharkiv).

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Lviv
Lviv
Lviv Oblast, Ukraine
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
4. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, July 11, 2016
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

Hi Karina

Please be careful how you post on here.

I respect that you are trying to help someone but the administrators may see it as self promotion which is not allowed

Possibly they will see that you are trying to help possibly not.

Better to send a private message which you can do on here

Click on to the poster's name and then it will give option of sending a private message

Kharkiv
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

Hello Anthony,

1. How expensive is it there, and approximately how much money i should bring with me.

Answering yourquestion, I should admit Kharkiv is rather cheap. The average price for studio apartment is 20$-25$ perday, one-bed apartment 30-35$. To go to restaurant for dinner will be nearly 10-15$. Speaking about entertainment,we have Gorkiy park,its attractions will cost 1-2 $. This park is like Disneyland , you can spend almost all day. You can also go to Feldman art park, it is also for free. If you will needmoredetailsI cant tell you more

2. Some cool places to visit and things , and do not necessarily need any bars, but it might be helpful if i am bored at night.

Very popular clubs are Misto and Bolero

3. How mush Ukrainian/Russian do i need to know (last time i was in the Ukraine i had a translator).

It depends on what you needto do here.

4. What to watch out for, i know it cant be any worse then NYC or Rome.

In reality there is much to see, but now unfortunately a lot of piecesof center are under reconstruction and are about to open in August,when are you coming?

Will be glad to provide you any information

Bestregards,

Olga

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
7. Re: Going to Kharkov in August for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 25, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Kharkiv