We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Hi and I am sorry if this is a topic that has been covered numerous.

I was not sure if to tag along with another post or create my own.

I am travelling to Kiev/Kyiv in September and wishing to meet a friend in Kharkiv for the weekend. However she tells me the situation there is not good. Searching on Google it is hard to find up to date or recent information about what is going on there.

She tells me of numerous explosions recently, of the train station being mined and no trains operating?

I have just read another excellently detailed post from another traveller in this forum who gives the impression that it does not seem as bad as what I am told.

My government advises against travel to Kharkiv if it can be avoided which is more a warning. I fully understand of the potential for trouble and the earlier bombing of the rally and other explosions from a few months ago, but I do not read of any recent events.

Could any locals or those more familiar with the city than myself comment on how it is there at this point in time?

I appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Brad.

Mentioned in this post
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Hi Brad,

As you know, I was there just last month, and had no issues at all fearing for my safety. I know from speaking to friends there that they don't fear anything too big happening. Yes, there has been some explosions there (none when I was there, though there were 2 in Odessa when I was down there), but these explosions seem to always happen at night time, and tend to be aimed at military recruitment buildings or so, not areas with a lot of people, and during busy periods. A flag down the road from my hotel was the target in April, but nobody was hurt or so.

We need to remember that terrorism happens anywhere, we've seen it in London over the years, Bali, Paris, and other places on high alert, where foreigners would be the target, not the case in Kharkiv.

I don't see the Russians launching an attack on the city either, the locals have made it clear that they are Ukrainian. I say go there, keep an eye on things, don't take too much from DFAT, they say avoid travel, but as I said, I was there and no issues whatsoever, and enjoy it, and see your friend

Mentioned in this post
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Hi Brad

Good guidance.

My only question is.

If your Govenment advise against travelling to the area,what about your insurance?.

Here in Uk Insurance companies follow UK Foreign office guidelines.

Yes they do seem extra vigilant and some say over the top but they are erring on the side of caution.

My wife is from Ukraine and we have regular up dates.

I have read on here that people do travel to these areas (Crimea for example) and there are little issues.

However what happens if there is that one off case and there is an issue?

Could you not meet say in Odessa or Kiev?? Easily accessible from Kharkiv

Your choice!

Edited: 2:28 am, July 27, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Thanks for the replies!

My insurance covers Ukraine fine, plus my credit card even provides cover on top of that.

My friend was saying something about the train station being mined (translation was rough). I can't find any information about it or if the trains are running, but I think I will fly anyway.

The person has limited free time, so it's easier for me to go to Kharkov than for them to travel, as I will be on holidays.

I think I will go. I have 8 days in Kiev so there is the time available. :)

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Trains are running ok

http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

Inter city only 4 hours probably better than airplane when you schedule in getting to airport checking in etc.

294 UAH around £9 sterling one way

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Wow that is pretty cheap, compared to a flight yes.

Thanks for the info about the trains. I hope the situation does not change for the worse of course.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Brad you can bet your life that if there is trouble the trains will stop.

The moment the troubles started in Crimea all trains stopped and have not restarted

Mentioned in this post
Crimea
Crimea
Europe
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

Hello to everyone,

I took the plunge & caught the express train from Kiev to Kharkiv. No problems at all. As was mentioned a more noticeable police/military presence but that's it.

Spent 2 nights in the Premier Palace Hotel & was fantastic. Met my friend, who is now pretty much my girl.

Took the express train back to Kiev again with no problems. All in all absolutely wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Kiev
Kiev
Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Romania
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

So you see, all is well managed. Ukraine is a beautiful country in general. The only pity is that the war is slightly hampered learn it all completely, its history and nature. I often visit Ukraine. It's almost like a second home.

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
9. Re: Kharkiv Situation -Safe to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 04, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Kharkiv