We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Hello,

I quoted the advice of USA, UK & France embassies regardin Kharkiv

"U.S. citizens should exercise caution in the regions of Odesa, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson. In addition, due to a recent increase in low level terrorism incidents, travelers in the cities of Odesa and Kharkiv should exercise extreme vigilance in public places after dark."

…state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to:

Kharkiv oblast"

https:/…ukraine

"Dans ce contexte, il est recommandé de faire preuve en toute occasion d’une vigilance renforcée et d’éviter les rassemblements sur la voie publique."

…gouv.fr/fr/…

To sum up it seems it might be ok to visit Kharkiv CITY if you avoid public places after dark and public events.

Anyone is there now to confirm that travel by train to this city for a week-end is relatively safe?

Best regards,

Florian

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Hi Florian,

Do you only care to hear from those currently there, please, as your OP suggests?

Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Hi Cora,

Not only from those currently there, from anyone who has an opinon about the safety in Kharkiv these days.

Cora I would be really glad to hear your advice if you have one about this topic :) .

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Just to clarify this – I see nothing wrong with seeking opinions of those who live or stay in the city only! Locals or current visitors are by far the best source of most actual information, especially in current volatile environment.

Anyway, I visited Khrakiv at least three times this year (been there at the time when a café was set on fire), and felt perfectly normal. So I believe it should be fine for a week-end visit.

However, as I mentioned here in the forum before, it is sadly one of those areas that remains fragile to possible provocations with destabilizing effect. On a calming side, stricter security measures have been taken there recently to enhance control (cameras etc), but the possibility of minor terror acts, sadly, remains. Mind your environment.

4. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:51 am, March 27, 2015
Edited: 8:51 am, March 27, 2015
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Those embassies only warn if there are ANY possibilities of MAYBE something possible.....always erring on the side of caution. I would not have any problem visiting Kharkiv or even Odesa. I agree with Cora about the fragile state in Khakiv due to the underground tensions.....still I feel safe. My feeling is Odesa is much less fragile, last month there were marches in streets with very loyal citizens to the country..... even though the small explosions on volunteer stores pro government.

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

You know, in our time is now nowhere is safe) come better in Dnepropetrovsk, are safer than in Kharkov)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

If people ask about Kharkiv this means they are coming to Kharkiv. Why solicit a totally different destination is beyond me.

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

I am going to Odessa, Kherson,Krivoy Rog, Donpretrovesk, Kharkiv and Sumy. How safe is it now?

Mentioned in this post
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Pretty ambitious trip, do you have the logistics taken care of? Area safety is less of a concern.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Kharkiv / Kharkov city ?

Hello my name is Clyde ! The question I I have a lady on a site here in the US , she is from Kharkiv. She as ask me to visit for about a month ! I don't know if I should . Been reading a lot of information on this situation . A lot is going on there . At time I have read they contain US citizens, then let them go! . I have never been there before I don't speak the language. Learning some. I readed information from the state department! They stay away! Thank you for your time clyde

Mentioned in this post
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
Get answers to your questions about Kharkiv