We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

But, I only know English

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
But, I only know English

When I read the post about someone wanting a recommendation for an interpreter, I thought that that seemed foolish. Then I remembered that I met a guy, a few years ago, waiting for a bus in Tirana to Skopje who had been to the Ukraine. He didn't say where he was , but said that he was at a bus station where no one spoke a word of English and he was going crazy. He didn't say how he was able to get his question answered, as it was time to board our bus.

My question is will those of us who only know English have major problems? Are maps available in English? But that won't work , because street signs won't be in English. I guess the answer is to write down - turn left at X Bank, continue to the building with the blue door and on and on

Any other ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Tirana
Tirana
Tirana County, Albania
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,815 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: But, I only know English

@poster #10

Stop spamming the forum. Your account has been reported.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: But, I only know English

I'm just back from Odessa, the city and it's inhabitants are beautiful. But you should have at least a good grasp of Cyrillic alphabet before you go. English skills there are patchy, understandable when most are bilingual in Ukrainian and Russian. The more of your itinerary you can research and pre-book, the better. Soviet style 'can't be bothered I'm getting paid anyway' attitudes still prevail in eg train stations, which are beautiful palaces but pandemonium, and don't be surprised when the counter you have been queuing half an hour for is closed in your face just as you reach the front because the Doris at the desk has had enough! Lol now, but not at the time.

Mentioned in this post
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: But, I only know English

The reason the countes at railway stations are closed isn't because the person has had enough, it's because every counter has break times which are listed on the window, they're all different though, if you are queing and see that there is going to be a break in five or ten minutes it's best to try a different counter.

Edited: 6:03 pm, August 03, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
353 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: But, I only know English

Those who speak only English will, at least, have no problems ordering meals in Odessa restaurants. All the menues I saw were bilingual, with second language being English.

However, the names of the streets could really be a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Odessa
Odessa
Odessa Oblast, Ukraine
15. Re: But, I only know English

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 18, 2014