We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

But, I only know English

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
But, I only know English

When I read the post about someone wanting a recommendation for an interpreter, I thought that that seemed foolish. Then I remembered that I met a guy, a few years ago, waiting for a bus in Tirana to Skopje who had been to the Ukraine. He didn't say where he was , but said that he was at a bus station where no one spoke a word of English and he was going crazy. He didn't say how he was able to get his question answered, as it was time to board our bus.

My question is will those of us who only know English have major problems? Are maps available in English? But that won't work , because street signs won't be in English. I guess the answer is to write down - turn left at X Bank, continue to the building with the blue door and on and on

Any other ideas?

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: But, I only know English

Hi there,

I would say you won't experience major problems speaking only English. Of course, it depends where you go - in places popular with tourists it shouldn't be a problem but with less popular places, it is possible that no one would speak English. However, Ukrainians are normally very friendly towards foreigners and would do their best to help you.

I've been abroad not speaking the language of the country, and I've never been in a hopeless situation in terms of language - people usually try to help you using gestures and whatever language they know, or find someone who speaks English. The same it is in Ukraine. Btw, have you thought of using mobile apps for translation?

As to street signs - for example, in Lviv, Kyiv, and other big cities, there are street signs in English. Even in my village in the Carpathian Mountains they are English. However, in villages, it is an exception rather than a rule. Maps - yes, there are maps in English, and you can always print out Google Maps, which will be both in Ukrainian and English.

Hope it helps.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: But, I only know English

For smart phones there is a free translation between many languages, you type in your question and it shows the question in what ever language is selected. It handles the Cyrillic alphabet. Works ok on my Samsung. Or as a backup one of the Lonely Planet type language books, they are very small and with some pointing you should be able to make yourself understood..

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: But, I only know English

Thanks for that great reply about the language books.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: But, I only know English

I'm planning a trip to Odessa at the end of October just wondering what sort of car rentals are available can anyone advise?

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: But, I only know English

Hi Bombers73,

Almost any type you may want(from economy and up to high class). Deawoo, volkswagen, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus etc. It's a question of your budget.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
367 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: But, I only know English

And in case you want a 15 meter white Audi Q7, a stretch-Hummer... not a problem at all. Odessa gives you everything you can pay for :-)

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: But, I only know English

Both manual and authomatic transmissions are available - but generally dayly prices and deposits are significantly higher than in western countries - obviously due to worse roads and toughest insurance policies.

You may google out details or calculate and compare prices from several main car rental companies operating in Ukraine: Hertz, Sixt, Avis, Budget

Falls Church, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: But, I only know English

Interested in private (english speaking) tour of the city (4-6 hours) for two people focused on architecture, history of the city.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: But, I only know English

Sweet thanks

10. Re: But, I only know English

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:46 am, July 15, 2013