We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Which Odessa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking of going to Odessa for the last 2 weeks of July this year and have been doing a fair bit of research but can't seem to figure out the best area to stay in. We have read that people recommend the area around Deribasovskaya St. and we have seen lots of nice apartments to rent at very reasonable prices and there seems to be lots to do & see around that area but we also want to spend a good bit of time at the beach.

Are we better to stay in the Deribasovskaya St. area and catch a bus or taxi to the beach each day or are we better doing this vice versa? Although there appears to be lots to do in the Deribasovskaya St. there also appears to be lots to do & see including nightlife in the Arkadia area which also has the benefits of being closer to the beach?

Also, is there enough to do in Odessa for 2 weeks?

Please could someone answer the above query & make recommendations of places to stay (budget is approx £60 per night)?

Thanks

Martin

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Average price for a foreigner will be around UAH100-150.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Dear rubenchicago,

The price depends on a taxi company\car owner. Usually it'll be about 35-45 UAH if it's an official taxi during the day; +10% and more during the night.

If you just waved your hand and stopped a car (not an official taxi) speaking foreign language during the night....the price will be 3 times higher.

13. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, May 16, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

There is a big difference between 35-45 to 100-150 UAH.

I may ask the apartment people I rented for a recommendation.

Usually I use the same driver all the time when I travel if the price and service is right.

I had awesome experience in Belgrade with a driver let's see if we can find a nice guy in Odessa.

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Arcadia is probably best choice. Lots of clubs and restaurants there. Nice walking/bike path that parallels beach. The mini buses can be hot and very crowded so you may have to stand. Best to take trolley -it also gets packed, so just get on it when it pulls up and grab a seat, and plan to wait a few minutes for it to take off-

from Arcadia to train station, then walk 15 minutes to derybovskaya street - it is a nice walk on the main streets to derybovskaya. Be sure to go to opera house, primorsky steps/promenade. It is only about 100 meters from opera house. There is a an Irish pub on derybovskaya-normally with lots of Brits. You may want to check out Dom Pavlovich-reasonably priced place on beach with rooms, show and restaurant. It it a 20 minute or 35 hrvna taxi ride to derybovskaya. Note it is not near Arcadia. Enjoy your time in

odesa

Saint-Malo, France
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

Hi All,

I am like Martin, preparing a trip to Odessa for this summer. So far, we are planning to stay close to the beach. The question is which one? Arcadia or Luzanovka?

We are looking for a nice, clean beach, with café, bars surrounding. Of course we will devote a bit of time to visiting Odessa, but the main activity will be sun tanning :) We are likely to go out at night, more likely to stay in bars, than in huge disco (having say that if there is a good disco, we will of course try it).

Arcadia area seems to offer more choice in term of “activities” (restaurant, bar, discos), to be better connected to the city center but more crowded.

Luzanovka seems at the opposite to be more relax (less the “place to be”), less crowded – and to be cheaper.

Now the questions:

Which one is the cleanest (beach and sea)?

Is there some night life around Luzanovka?

Where would be the easier to interact with Ukrainian people (we merely speak Russian)

For those who know both beaches: which ones do you like the most?

Thanks in advance

Franck

17. Re: Best area to stay in Odessa? Beach or city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014