We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

language schools, residences antigua

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Topic
language schools, residences antigua

I am going to Antigua for 2 weeks in july this yesr. What kind of clothes do I need?

I am doing a language course in Sevilla Language school, does anyone have any experience with this school. They offer guest house accomodation, I wonder whta happens for entertainment in the evening. I read a blog where someone said they were very lonely. I guess that could happen since the classes are one-on-one, so it might not be possible to meet people easily. I am a middle aged female, I expect to have a great time, but at the back of my mind I'm not sure.

If any one has any advice, please let me know

qquubbic

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: language schools, residences antigua

Hi there: I'm sure you're going to enjoy your time there. Antigua is a great place to meet other people, with lots of things to do, good restarurants and activities. So, you should look forward to your trip. The place is perfectly safe as any other city in the world as long as you use some common sense. July falls in the rainy season and since antigua sits at about 6,000 feet above sea level, the evenings get a little chilly. Are you interested in hiking pacaya volcano and watch the lava coming down or feel like if you were back in the 16th century. Most people fall in love with antigua and go back and some of them for good. So, I'm sure you'll get input from other people that've been there. Good luck.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: language schools, residences antigua

Hi gguubbic,

I attended 3 different language schools in Antigua on 3 separate trips. I was in my late 40's the first time and went alone on that trip.

Though the instruction is individual, they have coffee breaks scheduled so the students can mingle. Also most schools have some scheduled activities several times a week.

Though the majority of students were younger than I, not all were and it was a mixed range. However, since you are going in the summer months, you might run into more college kids and families.

i would not completely dismiss the idea of a home stay. I did it each time. In none of the cases was I with a young family with kids. One was a retired couple, another was a divorcee just a couple of years older than i am, and the third a couple whose kids were grown up. I think you will find similar in many cases as they are often people who now have extra room in their houses and want a bit of extra money. I think the schools ask you if you want a place with kids etc. and try to accomodate you. In my cases, they had more than one student staying with them. So I had a chance to interact with the hosts as well as others at mealtimes. I remember just sitting in the living room and watching TV and chatting to the woman. I think I was probably better of than if I had been in some residence. Also you get to speak Spanish where in the residence full of foreigners you may tend to drift into English.

Although I can't say I had an active "social life", between classes, studying, school activities, exploring Antigua, time at the homestay and going out a bit, I don't really recall being lonely.

Oobongosero has given you good tips about Antigua. Its a really beautiful place.

s for clothes - casual - not "flashy". I wore jeans much of the time.

enjoy

raquel

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: language schools, residences antigua

oobongosera, & Raquel z , thanks so much for responding, I am considering a homestay, and will decide when I get there.

Other questions, If anyone knows the answer,

Is it possible to buy fresh fruit, and which is the best grocery store?, also is half and half cream availble for coffee? Has anyone been to San Miguel Obisco, and is is worth going? The agency I am using, Spanishabroad has an arrangement with a school there. & can one change money safely in the airport?

Thanks so much, this forum is really appreciated

qquubbic

oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: language schools, residences antigua

qquubbic,

You are asking great questions that I think will insure that you are ready for a wonderful time. I've been to Antigua many times over the years and wil be returning in late March with a group from my church for a half language school/ half ministry experience. We will be staying at small B&B close to the Parque Central. I've been in many Central American locations and Antigua has got to be my favorite (along with Lake Atitlan--also in Guat,) Its a beautiful, safe, lay-back place that just oozes culture. Yes, fresh fruit is available either from street vendors are in the huge market on the edge of the city. The restaraunts certainly have cream and I'm sure that it can be found in the various stores that populate the cobble-stone streets.

enjoy! MJ

inverness, fl
Level Contributor
399 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: language schools, residences antigua

Yes, you can safely change money at the airport.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: language schools, residences antigua

Yes ,we changed our money at the airport. My father in law attempted to change money at the hotel and ended up going the bank. On the weekends there are long, long lines especially in Antigua to use the ATM. So I would recomment changing it at the airport .

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: language schools, residences antigua

There's tons of little tiendas everywhere for picking up juice, snacks, etc. There's a supermercado over towards the bus station, La Begonia?, that's fun to check out. You'll find everything you'll need and everything's close by.

I just got back from a month in Antigua at the CSA school and had a blast. Everyone in Antigua is very friendly, especially compared to us "flinty New Englanders." I didn't do a homestay, but stayed in a very small hotel/B&B, Hotel Casa Ovalle, which I was extremely happy with.

I did a few excursions with the school and got to socialize that way. Otherwise, the only people I spent much time with were the other guests in the hotel. Not interested in the bar scenes. I cannot wait to go back. You'll fall in love with Antigua, I'm very sure.

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: language schools, residences antigua

Sakami, thanks so much for the current info. Could you give me further details on Casa Ovalle, Such as price, where you would eat lunch & dinner. Also can one take a small hot water pot to make a hot drink in ones room. Could you arrange a trip to chichicastanango, ot lake Atitlan, and how would you do it. I am going for 2 weeks in August, taking classes at Sevilla,

I really appreciate any info you can give me

Thanks

qquubbic in Massachusetts

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: language schools, residences antigua

I found this hotel last fall when I did a Google search for "hotel+antigua+wifi"

http://www.hotelcasaovalle.com/index2.htm

It was just as advertised, only better. Small, friendly and very convenient. I took breakfast only and you can see the weekly rate I paid for a single room. Two of the other rooms were occupied by single mothers or couples who were in Guatemala adopting infants. If the occassional baby yelp might disturb you, then that could be an issue anywhere in Antigua where adoptive parents are a common sight on the street and in the more reasonable hotels. As a parent I´ve cultivated the ability to ignore that sort of thing. "Not my child, not my problem..."

I'm hoping to go back to Antigua to continue classes with one or more of my children and this hotel will be my first choice if they can accommodate us..

There are tons of restaurants, cafés, etc. for lunch and dinner in Antigua. I had such a substantial breakfast everyday that I got into a two meal a day routine. I know in this hotel I would just feel free, as I did, to use the kitchen if I wanted to make tea, use the microwave or stash ice cream in the fridge. You'll find people very friendly, generous and cordial in Antigua.

I've posted pictures that I took of Antigua this winter on my pages here:

http://bourdelais.com/antigua/

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any help. I love to talk about Antigua, Spanish schools and Guatemala in general. I'm in the first tax-free state to your north.

10. Re: language schools, residences antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 24, 2009