We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

Be very careful in using the Credomatic ATMs in the BAC-AG in Antigua, Guatemala. Even thought there are guards present it is not a safe usage area. This is the bank that if you face the Condessa is to the right with all the guards. I used the ATM there yesterday and today someone tried to make a $899.80 charge to Amana Publishing-an anti-American pro-Moselm site. Fortunately my bank stopped the charge. This is the only ATM I have used. A bank employee helped with my & other's tranactions. Don't even trust employees.

37 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. That BAC site in Antigua was supposedly the source of a lot of ATM fraud several years ago, but I've not seen any recent reports of trouble. Legitimate bank employees should not be present where you are using the ATM. The guards may provide an impression of security, but there really is no reason for them to be with you in the room with the ATM. As a general rule, never let anyone "help" you with an ATM transaction, and be sure to shield the number pad from view when you enter your PIN.

Edited: 8:27 pm, February 13, 2016
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
2. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

This is an absolutely infamous machine, and it's close to 100% certain that it's an ongoing inside job. This is a great example of why advice to always use ATM's inside of banks, or with guards, is really completely useless. They got me years ago and it seriously p'd me off (even though I was able to recover the charges on both cards). Shame on that bank, seriously... after all time. Maybe all of the $ they make goes towards those extra guards for effect.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

Thanks for the heads up.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
99 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

As an Antigua resident I have heard these stories on and off for two years. I finally got the screws put to me a few weeks ago when an ATM didn't give me cash yet took the amount out of my account anyway. In short, DO NOT USE THESE ATM'S. Something is going on there and it 's not good.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
337 reviews
5. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

I had the same problem with the b5 in the pharmacy near La Merced. Said it was going to give me $ and did not. Advised my bank hopefully may get it back. Had endless problems with atms in Antigua. Had to go into a bank in Panachel to get visa advance just to get $. They need different atms here

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
6. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

I'm gonna guess that #5 uses RBC... for whatever reason though, Canadians just have a lot more problems, regardless of their bak. Using ATM's 100's of times over the years, my only real problem was at the evil BAC on the square.

It's not really a question of "may get it back." If your bank doesn't do the refund, which is unlikely, then it's time to dump them for a better one.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
331 reviews
7. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

Darn, cactus - that's my go to ATM in Antigua. I had the 'can't give you money but we'll take it from your account anyway' experience with the Banrural ATM in San Pedro last fall but the money was back in my account the next morning.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
337 reviews
8. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

it was recommended by my hotel. it gave me $ first time. Yah RBC. You would think there wold be more choice in Antigua. There were 4 or more around the Park in Copan. Got $ there and San Salvador. Had t go into Pana from Santa Cruz to go to get a cash advance. Now going to Pana this a and want to get $ before Antigua.

The no credit card use by hotels here is a real nuisance.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
331 reviews
9. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

It's part of the reason I'm loyal to hotels I've loved on previous trips - I feel confident enough to just pay in advance (PayPal or a wire transfer) and don't have to mess with cash for that on the road. I generally save plenty of cash from 1 trip to get me through an overnight in Antigua and up to the lake the next visit so I don't have to get cash in Antigua. I get it that those ideas don't work for folks who don't know/trust the people at their hotels, though, and especially 1st time visitors.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
10. Re: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala

"Yah RBC."

For whatever reason, I have heard literally dozens of Canadians having problems with this bank in particular. If I recall correctly, the Banco Industrial machines – there are some in Pana – have more luck. Don't quote me on that though.

Reply to: ATM usage in Antigua, Guatemala
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted