We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug Caught in Guatemala

Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Bug Caught in Guatemala

I have a friend that traveled to guatemala a months ago, apparently she caught a bug from drinking water. My husband traveled to Guatemala 10 years ago and also caught a bug. The bug is very common in Guatemala. His friend that lived there send him some medicine but we can't remember what it was and we are not in touch with the friend. Can you please find out from a doctor and let me know. Thank you very much. Linda

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug Caught in Guatemala

Hi there; Tell your friend he is lucky he went to guatemala and not got on those cruise ships where people been getting sick left and right lately. I've never gotten sick in guatemala from drinking the water. I read lots of feedback from people that've been to guatemala on the other travel forums and you don't hear about that as being common. That can happen anywhere in the world because your stomach is not used to. That used to happen to the children of a friend of mine who was a missionare. They got sick every time they were back in the states. Luckily I have a cousin who is a doctor in guatemala. I can give him a call when I get back home from the holidays and get back to you. Happy holidays.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug Caught in Guatemala

whenever you travel to a new place.. your body is meeting up with new germs...from food or water. After a day or two your body slowly adjusts... Personally i could drink the water in Guatemala..but i dont do it.. just stick with the bottle stuff... take Pepo if you feel alittle sick.

I agree.. seems like every week you hear about another cruise ship posioning... i wont drink the water of the tap from my house in florida..not because im afraid to get sick.. just tastes bad..

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug Caught in Guatemala

CIPRO worked from husbands bug...

4. Re: Bug Caught in Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 20, 2009