We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Antigua
Search

9 day Itinerary for Guatemala

SF
13 posts
9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

My boyfriend and I will be flying to Guatemala on Dec. 26th and have 9 days to seek highlights of Guatemala. Have any ideas or suggestions of where we should go first? And do we need to book with or without an organized tour?

nyc
1 post
1 review
10 helpful votes
1. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

We are doing the same thing-did you get any suggestions yet?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

Hello there: I am sure most travellers would agree with me that the first thing you should do is go to Antigua straight from the airport. In Antigua you'll find several tour operators offering tours to Panajachel, Pacaya Volcano, and Tikal. Antigua is a very romantic place but so is Lake Atitlan. You should try to use shuttle service from the airport which is not very expensive and safer than chicken buses because of their reckless drivers. Guatemala city has a lot to offer in terms of museums, fine restaurants, night life. shopping malls etc. But armed and violent robberies are frequent on public transportation. Of course that is nothing compared to what was happening in Miami a few years back when criminals were targetting foreing tourists driving rental cars and several german tourist were murdered around the airport. But the State Department has to warn you anyway.Hopefully you already have hotel reservations. Remember to bring a sweater or light jacket because in the highlands it can get pretty chilly at night. In guatemala you can enjoy some of the best steak houses (churrasco argentino) in the world. Try the lomito (filet mignon) The roads are in excellent shape. They have been reapaired around the country after last year's hurricane Stan.. Have a nice trip and merry x-mas.

Miami
1 post
3. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

My boyfriend and I are doing the same in March for 10 days. Our tentative plans are

Day 1 arrive in Guat CIty

Day 2 Head to Lake Atitlan

Day 3 Kayak/biking in Atitlan

Day 4 Atitlan/Chichicastenango

Day 5 Back to antigua

Day 6 Tikal 1 day tour

Day 7 Chill in antigua/ maybe visit a coffee plantation and rest up for:

Day 8 Climb Pacaya volcano

Day 9 back to GC

Day 10 home in the morning

I'm sure things will probably change quite a bit, but i would definitely say for you if your not going to do an all inclusive tour at least book ahead for day trips.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

Hello there: Good to hear that you have guatemala in your travel plans. FYI you can buy a ticket inside the airport for the shuttle van to antigua or any where else. The fare runs about $10 p/p. You can find ATM's almost anywhere where you can withdraw money in local currency at the official rate of exchange (Q7.65 to 1US). But is always good to bring some small bills, just in case. They take US dollars too. Well you all have a nice trip.

SC
1 post
5. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

I wish you a good stay in Guatemala please use this link this is for the turist web page

www.visitguatemala.com/site/home/index_3.html

I recomend you have your hotel and possible some tour prices pre-visit. Most of the people go to Antigua first and spend a couple of days there, there is a lot of activities ( please check the web page), also Atitlan ( 3 1/2 hrs from Guatemala City) and Tikal is work to see. To Tikal there is daily fights and in the range al 100-150.

Some Hotels from Antigua offer transportation from Guatemala City for a fee. Good Hotels in Antiugua is the Casa Santo Domingo and Hotel Antigua ( this are the one I remember), in Atitlan there is the Hotel Atitlan ( can of expensive but nice), but there is the Barcelo wich offer all inclusive with a good price, it use to be the best Hotel in the area but now there is others.

Also in Guatemala City there is a good Hotels, I recomend you stay in the Zona Viva Area ( Zone 9 or 10) good Hotels are the Camino Real , Marriot, Pricess Holiday Inn , Carlion Suites.

Well I hope you enjoy your Stay and if you like the rum, do not forget to buy Zacapa Centenario a 23 yrs old rum that sells for 34 dollars and is really good, won 4 times the best rum in the Caribbean.

FG

SF
13 posts
6. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala
Save

Thank you everybody for their input, our plan:

Day 1: Fly to G.C. around 7pm, spend the night there.

2: Fly to Flores and go to Tikal for the day

3: Tikal in the morning, fly to G.C. and ?

4-5: Antigua (Celebrate New Years)

6: Antigua in the a.m., Pana (Lake Atitlan) stay in San Pedro

7: Lake Atitlan (stay in Jaibalito)

8: ?

9: Chichi market (thurs)

10: G.C.

11: Fly back home

Should I leave something out? And is Antigua the best city to go for New Year's Eve celebrations?

Hien

7. Re: 9 day Itinerary for Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 19, 2009