We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Hello.

I have read about shuttles from the GC airport to Antigua, but am wondering if there are shuttle options from the Tica Bus terminal? Alternatively, what are the best options for travel between GC and Antigua? We, my husband and I, are quite comfortable on 'chicken buses' but have read that there can be a lot of problems with robbery on them between these two cities. As we arrive at 11am, we do have lots of time to make our way to Antigua.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gail

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

I suggest you guys take a taxi from the Tica bus terminal to the airport to catch a shuttle to Antigua.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Thanks, Kyle. I'll look into that; it might be the best solution.

Gail

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

But if you a take a taxi directly from the Tica bus terminal to Antigua you could easily be spending about $35, the same kind of money without having to wait for the shuttle to fill up. Because the shuttle charges $10 p/p.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
773 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

I like Kyle's second answer better. A taxi for two people direct to Antigua will be faster and about the same price as cabbing to the airport and taking the shuttle. If you get lucky and meet someone on the bus who wants to share the cab with you, it could cost even less.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Thanks for the suggestions. I like Kyle's second suggestion better and that is what we'll do. All set to head out tomorrow morning on the bus to San Salvador and then on to GC on Tuesday..

Thanks for making this so simple!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

There are shuttles form the TICA bus station to Antigua. You do not need to go to the airport to take the shuttle. They cost about $10.00 and a are very convenient.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Thanks Cynthia.

I should have updated this myself; upon arrival in the ticabus station in GC, we were offered a shuttle to Antigua. Since there were no other passengers, we paid $40USD total for our trip, but the driver took us directly to our place and stopped at an ATM along the way. The cost would have been less, if there had been more people, but it was certainly simple, easy and relatively cost effective.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

Thanks for the feedback. Now I can update my notes.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

I arrive to GC airport at 12 noon and need to get to Antigua. Do I need to make a reservation for my transfer ahead or I just need to get out of the airport and there will be a bus that goes to Antigua and I do not need a reservation?

10. Re: shuttle or bus from Guatemala City to Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2015