We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agency warning in Antigua

dallas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Agency warning in Antigua

I have been living in Guatemala every summer for the past 20 years. Travelers BEWARE of a man by the name of Ceasar Robles- he runs a travel agency now by the name of MAYA RUTA. It is located in a very prominent place in Central Park so many tourist go in to make excursion plans. He changes location and manes of the travel agency often due to tourists reporting him for serious problems. Quite simply, he is a major con artist. Everyone in Antigua knows it but they are scared to do anything or say anything because he is very violent. Unfortunately, that is very common in Antigua. DO NOT...use this agency and tell everyone you know not to use it. Everytime I am here, I see signs that have been posted by tourists who have been victimized by him. He gets the signs down very quickly. He sells trips to people and gets them half way there and drops them off and leavves. He has been know to rape women travelers on his advertised sailing trips. He is very violent and is know to abuse anyone who stands up to him! Please, always ask... if Ceasar Robles operates the travel agency you are using. There are many good agencies to use in Antigua.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

Hi. I have spent some time in Antigua myself, and I can tell anyone without reservation to use Sin Fronteras travel agency to make plans for trips out of Antigua. They are totally honest, upfront, polite, and reliable. They can arrange trips to Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenengo, Tikal, Montericco, Copan, and Rio Dulce among others. Check out the Sin Fronteras website if you want to know more, and if you go in to book anything please tell Claudia that Anamaria from England says HOLA!

South Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

Where would you recommend staying if it's our only trip there, and we'll be there for New Year's?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

Check out Casa Encantada, very nice place.

Storm

www.imatraveljunkie.com

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

A SECOND TO THAT WARNING!! I can confirm the violent nature of this individual Cesar Robles, of Ruta Maya. I had read the above warning but since I bought a tour ticket from a different store front operation I did not know I was dealing indirectly with the same individual. I bought a Pacaya Volcano tour ticket from Lonely Planet Guatemala outlet in front of the Sabor Cubana restaurant on 4th Calle just two blocks from the Parque Central. I boarded the bus for the tour on the central square but later that night at the end of the tour the bus driver was more interested in emptying the bus than returning passengers to the main square. The driver left me lost in the city in the dark. The day after, I went to Lonely Planet to complain about the treatment and was told to see the manager at Ruta Maya. (By then I had forgotten about the above warning.) The manager it turned out was none other than Cesar Robles. When I began to criticize his bus driver he immediately flared up and asked if there was a problem? Did I get the tour? Then I had nothing to complain about. He starting using foul language and cursed me. He said, "Get the F_ _ _ out of here you [SOB]. I don't give a damn about you or your money. " At this point he pulled out a stun gun and came at me while triggering the stun gun. He said, "I'm gonna make trouble for you you [SOB], get the F_ _ _ outta here!" While filing a report with INGUAT I was informed that while this character's behavior is known, not enough tourists are willing to file a report because of intimidation. So please, if anyone knows of an incident, or knows of anyone who knows of an incident please report it. My compaint is INGUAT report No. 02101.

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

The date and time of the stun gun assault was Thursday, 15 Feb 07, between 2 & 2:15pm.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

Hi there, I guarantee you that guy Cesar Robles is not guatemalan, more than likely he is cuban. Based on the way you described him,he shows the identical arrogant and rude behavior of some cubans in miami. That restaurant Sabor Cubano is probably part of his business too. But whoever he is, he is staining the reputation of the hospitable and friendly guatemalan people. There's have to be a way to report him to the tourism commissission (INGUAT). I promise I'll write to a few of the guatemalan newspapers for them to check on this guy. Thanks for sharing this unfortunate experience. Good luck.

Montreal
Level Contributor
253 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

It does not matter where that guy comes from....tourists will associate him with a bad experience in Guatemala. I find it sad that people like him give the Guatemalan tourist industry a bad name.

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

00bongosero: You said, "There's have to be a way to report him to the tourism commissission (INGUAT)." I did, and the formal complaint is INGUAT report No. 02101. I have notified the US State Dept and Embassy but they evidently have more important things to tend to (said sacastically) for the reaction was mute. I've also contacted Lonely Planet to inform them of his illegal association with their name.

Anything anybody can do to bring pressure to bear on this individual will be in everyone's best interest.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

I would like to suggest you to post your bad experience with this guy and his travel agency on the thorntree.lonelyplanet forum also. That way you get more exposure to your complaint, and warn other travellers that might not read this forum. Good luck.

San Leandro...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Agency warning in Antigua

Is this the same company?

http://larutamayaonline.com

How about these?

www.mayantravel.com

www.guatemalainns.com

Please let me know so I can avoid a problem