We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

I see multiple companies offering tours to Atitlan from Antigua, however, i was hoping to include Iximche (it's kind of on the way.) I don't see any tour companies offering this, so maybe it's a bad idea.

Family of 4.

Am I better off just hiring a private driver/taxi

The time to drive seems confusing.. I've seen numbers ranging from 75 minutes to 2 1/2 hours.. (not sure what is correct.. maybe the longside is round trip?)

It looks like adding in Iximche would add about 1 hr of driving (and 1 hour of stop time)

Looks like dark is 6:30.. would you recommend being back in antigua by dark (7pm) .

Casey

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

Try sending a PM to Laure_Starry. She was putting together a similar jaunt earlier this year. That was the most recent discussion of it here.

If traffic's OK, you should make it to Pana from Antigua in 2 1/2 hours pretty easily. A visit to Iximche wouldn't add much to that, aside from the tour itself. It's quite close to the main highway.

denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

Thanks DC_Chapin, I really appreciate the help you and the other frequent posters provide.... (hopefulist and kayak-atitlan, kyle2009 and others.)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

In my experience, stopping at Iximché = a private driver. As a family of 4 it won't be as much out of line as it would be for a single person or couple. I'd figure 3 hours each way just for the lake and back (they say 2.5 but sometimes there are construction hold ups). Iximché is just 15 minutes or so off the Pan Am and half an hour is probably enough time to see the site if you are pushed for time. You don't say what ages your kids are but that would be a heck of a long time in the car for a little bit of lake view. Sure you can't afford a night or 2 on the lake? Or 3 or 4?

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

4. Re: Lake Atitlan and Iximche day trip from Antigua.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 28, 2014