We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual Antigua experiences

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
386 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual Antigua experiences

We will be in antigua for five days for my wife's birthday and our anniversary. I am trying to set up unique experiences for us to have to celebrate. We will have a cooking class. Massages..etc. any other unique experiences anyone can suggest

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

www.chocomuseo.com

I would have recommended fat tire bike tours but read here recently that the shop we've used is out of business. How about taking a camioneta to Pastores, a village just 10 minutes away and buying boots for each other?

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
284 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

Meh on Pastores. I haven't been impressed with the quality of products sold in Pastores. The leather in products they sell is very high quality. But everything else (buckles, grommets, laces, soles) falls apart quickly.

I love going to Valhalla Macadamia station (outside San Miguel Dueñas) for breakfast and a tour. It is a beautiful and romantic little spot. As part of the tour, they can give you a facial massage to demonstrate the quality of the macadamia skin care products they sell. http://www.exvalhalla.net/cosmetics.htm You could take a camioneta out there, or go there with one of the bike tour agencies in Antigua.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

We love Pastores - such an odd, interesting, not-in-Kansas-anymore sort of place. I haven't been tempted to buy boots but had a blast watching my husband try them on and talking with the craftsmen.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157627335522316

Valhalla is a great idea - loved a visit there a few years ago.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157622095951981

The bathroom alone is worth the trip. :-)

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
612 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

It's been several years since we were in Antigua, but our visit to nearby Finca Colombia coffee plantation was a stand-out. We were picked up at our hotel by the owner and taken on an informative walking tour of the entire coffee production, from seed to cup. Since coffee plants require shade, it was a cool and scenic stroll, complete with the volcano in the background. At the conclusion, we were given a complimentary cup and chance to buy their beans. I understand there is a restaurant on premise now. Website is www.fincachicua.com. (This place should not be confused with another, much more commercial coffee plantation in the vicinity).

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
284 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

Good point, hopefulist. It is kind of weird to see a whole town dedicated to making and selling "western wear" and cowboy boots in the middle of Guatemala.

I guess I've seen it so many times (and I know people who work as zapateros in Pastores) that it no longer has the exotic appeal to me. Also, it's very possible that there are some real high-quality bootmakers there, but the belts and shoes I've brought home have all eventually revealed a defect of some kind.

California
Level Contributor
705 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

Thank you for mentioning Finca Colombia. I sent an email a couple of days ago asking if I could go on a tour and Margarita took me on a tour even though it was just me. I don't know if it would qualify as an unusual experience (it's my first finca tour) but it was a very enjoyable & educational experience. I'll post a review after I return home.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

How about learning about backstrap weaving, the ancient art form of the Mayan people? Email Olga Reich at http://www.customtextiledesign.com/ as she is an expert and I am sure can suggest various things for you to do and go visit. She is fantastic!

CHATTANOOGA, TN
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

do you know of any leather tanneries near antiqua? or belt makers?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

I'm afraid I don't know of any. Many people ask about leather goods, but it seems the leather is often imported I think! However, I am sure Olga will know far more than me. Otherwise I suggest you go to Parramos just outside of Antigua which is famous for its beautiful cowboy boots. There is store after store, so I am sure you can find out where they get their leather from!

Good Luck

10. Re: Unusual Antigua experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, June 17, 2013