We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental guatemala

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental guatemala

We will be in Antigua in mid December. Would like to rent a car and drop it off in either Flores or Tikal. Cannot find a company that does this. They all seem to want it returned to point of pick up. Any advice?

Thanks.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental guatemala

How about Tabarini rent a car.

http://www.tabarini.com/

Good luck.

Edited: 12:00 pm, November 07, 2012
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental guatemala

You could also try Tally and see what they say: http://tallyrentaautos.com/index.php

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental guatemala

I am doing the same thing. Guatemala rent a car and Hertz will let you do a one way rental but there is a $200 charge for the privledge. We are renting in GC and returning to Flores. I found Tabarini cars very expensive. We need a 4 wheel drive SUV. Guatemala rent a car had one for a few hundred dollars less than Tabarini. For the 12 days it was around $700 plus the $200 one way drop off fee. The most expensive rental car I have ever rented but it will be worth it in the end.

Edited: 8:27 pm, November 07, 2012
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental guatemala

I think this is the local company #3 is referring to http://www.guatemalarentacar.com/ I drove a Mitsubishi Lancer from them all over the country. I was satisfied with their service. They and most of the other companies offer good deals on weekly rates. I don't see why you'd need a 4X4 unless you plan on getting off the paved roads. But you can easily travel all over the country on good paved roads. And most of the hotels have secure overnight parking.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental guatemala

Thanks so much for the message. I just contacted them and am waiting for a response.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental guatemala

Thanks for your great recommendation. Was planning to book with Guatemala rent a car yesterday but am waiting for updates on the earthquake. Have a great trip!

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental guatemala

Thanks for your recommendation for Guatemala rent a car. Also, that we do not need a 4x4.This was great info. I really appreciate it.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental guatemala

To get the quickest response from them, they have " instant chat" feature on their web site. You can instant message with them instead of calling or emailing.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
58 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental guatemala

do you need 4 x 4 to get to lanquin?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental guatemala

I know it is recommended to have a 4x4 to get from lanquin to Semuc Champey. The place I am staying recommended that I be picked up in Lanquin and driven to SC unless I had a 4x4 vehicle. I am not sure of the road condition from Coban to Lanquin. I personally feel that if you are going to be driving in a country that has some roads in poor condition you should be prepared and have a 4x4. We had one in Belize and Costa Rica and were glad that we did. We have always encountered situations where it was unexpectedly needed.