We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antigua, Guatemala
2 posts
Save Topic
Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

Hi everyone, recently I get very sick and I went to Hospital Hermano Pedro, a private institution in Antigua Guatemala. I was with diarrhoea for the last 2 days. The owner of the hospital Dr. Bonilla suggested I have a very serious condition, and he said I need to stay in the hospital for treatment. Suddenly I saw in your eye the US bills flying in his imagination...and the worse ishe can not even speak English. He ask all the time her secretary to translate for him. When I asked for a budget or cost of hospitalization he said around USD 1,500. I decided to look for another option. Finally I ask in the reception of my hotel and they recommend a house call doctor. He arrived in 15 min! with full medication and medical instruments kit. He prescribed me with oral antibiotics and after 24 hrs I was doing ok! His fees were very convinient, even accepted credit card and the best: He was fluent in English. I strongly recommend him for any traveler sick in Antigua.

His Contact info is Oscar Asturias, M.D. phone 00(502) 48603217.

He does House call in Antigua and speaks English and French.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

I reported this post as advertising. The hospital you are libeling is a fine hospital. And seriously? You're criticizing the doctor's English? "He ask all the time her secretary to translate for him"??

This post is totally bogus.

Guatemala!
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

I went to Hermano Pedro as well and they definitely see foreigners as a cash cow. Total misdiagnosis, extra drugs, huge bill, etc. I have had friends as well that have been told to stay there when not needed. It's not a bad hospital but other options are great to hear about, thanks for the other doctor's information.

Tucson, Aizona
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

Hmm. I can't tell about other doctor experiences but I too had to get medical help for diarrhea, fever weakness and was referred to Hermano Pedro. No he didn't speak English. He asked me questions in Spanish that we stumbled through and sent me to the lab tech, She drew a blood sample and I gave her a stool sample. Before getting the results I had to pay the fee for those two things, which converted to about $32. After a one and one half hour wait The lab report was ready. The doctor/lab report said I had an intestinal infection and an intestinal parasite. The meds at there pharmacy were a bit pricey compared to the service. 12 antibiotics for the infection and two parasite killer pills and two bottles of electrolite stuff. The total bill was around $120 American. That was yesterday while I was in really pathetic shape, I am much-much better now. Somewhere may be better but it worked for me and I cant complain.

4. Re: Medical care in Antigua. Avoid Hospital Privado Hermano Pedr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 18, 2014