We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz or live music in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz or live music in Antigua

Is there any hotel or lounge in town that has live music?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

Quite a few venues on 5a Calle - the street with the arch.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

A few years back I enjoyed live jazz music in the lobby of one of the five star hotels in the zona viva in GC. Bob Porter an american musician who's lived most of his life in guatemala was playing there with his group. So I suggest to check the area out, and the downtown area where nowadays is safe at night also and you can enjoy special Tango nights. And FYI you just missed the international jazz festival which had presentations around the country with international groups.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

Pick up a copy of Revue Magazine or Que Pasa (both have online sites) for a list of music events.

SF , CA
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

We are spending 3days in Antigua in May; anyone has made a day trip to Lake Atitlan and Panachel as a day trip?

Also, where are the Tango places?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

There is rarely live music on 5th. other than occasionally at Bourbon. Cafe No Se, rainbow cafe, Panza verde have good talent. Revue has good listings. Check our Nelson Lundig if you can.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

La Pena del Sol Latino has great live music, some of it Latin-jazz inflected, led by the place's owner, Bill the Drummer. (Turns out that Bill worked for ages in Nashville with one of my good friends from Berklee College of Music--small world).

Anyway, they have good music, and excellent food and wine.

http://lapenaantigua.com/

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

To gdynia10, In answer to your question about a one day trip to Lake Atitlan; yes it is possible. The early shuttles depart Antigua at 8 am and depart Panajachel at 4 pm. These are shared shuttles and run on a regular schedule each day. If you want more flexibility, I would hire a private shuttle that would depart earlier and return later. This would offer you a full day at Lake Atitlan.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

Thanks for all the postings. I'm a musician and will be visiting GC, Antigua, and Lake Atitlan. For me one of the joys of travel is getting to hear gifted local musicans. It's a cliche, but music really is the international language.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

I agree 100%. In the Lake atitlan area check out La Palapa, Circus Bar, Pana Rock and sunset in Pana and Posada de Santiago in Santiago. Live music in all!

10. Re: Jazz or live music in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 30, 2013