We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

We have two weeks, Dec 16-23 then 23-30, to split between Antigua and Atitlan. We are traveling with our three children. Could someone advise which might be better to visit first in terms of celebrations, down times, etc. I guess the question is where best to spend the days leading up to Christmas and Christmas Day itself. Thanks so much in advance, Ann

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

Hi there.....Antigua while appealing to adults because of it's history could be boring to kids. So, I'd think you have to think of adding a place where kids can chill out and have a good time in the water, kayaking, swiming, well I'm sure you get the picture. So, why not on your arrival day take a www.litegua.com Litegua bus and head for Rio Dulce and spend a couple days at place like www.fincatatin.centroamerica.com or www.hotelitoperdido.com Hotel Casa Rosada is also a good option near the water. On this site www.mapasdeguatemala.com click on Izabal to look at an area map. From there you're only about 3/4 hours from Flores/Tikal. I'm sure your kids depending on their ages, will find Tikal a cool place to talk about the mayas and their pyramids back at school. Then spend x-mas in Antigua and the rest of the time at the lake. Good luck

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

Thanks very much for posting this helpful info. We actually live full time in a colonial town in Mexico so the kids are pretty used to marching around cobblestone streets looking at churches and handicrafts! However, I do love the idea of that place you mentioned near Itzabal. Do you happen to know the distance there by bus? We are originally going to Tikal but it was just adding a lot of time and expense so we thought we'd keep it simple and just divide our time between Antigua and Atitlan.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

Litegua has excellent hourly bus service from GC. It's a long five hour ride on comfortable double decker buses to the Rio Dulce area with a lunch stop with clean restrooms, good food and coffee. And like I said before from there it's only about 3/4 hours to Flores/Tikal. The bus fare is $US10 p/p but I don't know if kids pay full fare or what. IMO 15 days gives you plenty of time to do all that. Since you guys live in Mexico you may also think of a visit to Xetulul www.xetulul.com a theme park on the way to mexican border.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

Thanks again. I truly appreciate the leads. I have been in touch with Finca Tatin. Looks like a very neat spot.

5. Re: two weeks at Christmas in Atitlan/Antigua: which order?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Antigua