We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala Safety

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Topic
Guatemala Safety

My husband and I are traveling to Antigua next week for a friends wedding. After reading all of the travel alerts and tips, frankly I'm ready to cancel. Stories of targeted shuttles from the airport, carjackings/muggings on main highways from the airport to Antigua in broad daylight really scare me. We travel quite a bit but never to Central or South America. We arrive and depart around noon and will be transported by the hotel sponsored shuttle. We do not plan on leaving Antigua the 3 days we are there. Honest advice and recent experiences welcome.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Guatemala Safety

As a permanent resident of Guatemala (expat USA), I am happy to see so many of our past guests write in with positive replies. This country has many struggles to overcome its past; but as guests who travel here quickly find comfort in the warmth of the people, the natural beauty of the landscape, and the ease of travel within the country.

Enjoy your friends wedding Amanda, and your first visit to Guatemala.

3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Guatemala Safety

Dont travel at night and always travel in group antigua is pretty safe .

3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Guatemala Safety

3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Guatemala Safety

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Guatemala Safety

We're planning to visit in the Fall, so this site has been a great source of information and has reduced our concerns.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Guatemala Safety

I just got back from Antigua, where I traveled alone for 11 days. I felt very safe at all time. Granted, I am careful and also did not go out alone after dark. There are police everywhere.

portland, or
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Guatemala Safety

How did you travel between stops? Local buses, tourist buses, taxis?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Guatemala Safety

I'm adding my two cents.

I went to Guatemala last week and I was full of anxiety and worry from what I read online. I took the usual precautions and I never felt unsafe during my stay. In fact, I feel a bit silly for being so anxious.

I booked day tours Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Tikal, and Antigua, so we were transported via shuttle van. There are police everywhere, especially in Antigua. My friend and I walked around Antigual and if we felt that the street looked deserted then we walked down another street.

Walnut Creek...
3 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Guatemala Safety

My first time on this site an am so appreciative of the reviews. I was just about to cancel our first rip to Antiqua and Atitlan when I read all of your realistic experiences and precautions. Now it is a year later - does any one have any more feedback to help us decided whether to go or not? Many thanks.

Clinton
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Guatemala Safety

My wife and I...we are in our 70s..will be returniing to Panajachel mid-Jan for the 9th year there. I walk around the town day and night. Not in back alleys.

Feel perfectly safe. I am told that police are everywhere in Antigua. Just use commone sense....not flashy jewelry, etc.

Enjoy a wonderful country and great people.