We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe atm machines?

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Safe atm machines?

Googling finds issues with scammed ATMs in Antigua this past winter/early spring 2011.

Have these issues been resolved? Any local expat with a recommended 'safe' ATM?

We are on vacation here and need to replenish our quetzal supply...gracias!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe atm machines?

I live in Antigua and usually use the ATMs by the central park, on 4th avenue, there is a 5B, next to GyT Continental, and a bit further south is Banco Industrial, but they charge a fee to some cards. With my Mastercard at 5B, the yellow cash machines they never charge me and it has always been OK.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
577 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe atm machines?

That's been my experience also over the past 8 years or so of travel to Guate. It's still a good idea to check that the slot where you slide the card has not been altered and also to conceal the keypad when you enter your pin. On my last few visits the 5B machine at the plaza had a shield installed over the keypad that should be at least partly effective at hiding your keystrokes.

Edited: 2:29 am, October 31, 2011
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe atm machines?

There are no safe atm's in Antigua Guatemala nor anywhere else in the country. I was ripped twice via atm, once in Antigua and once in Panajachel. I carry some cash and get cash directly from the teller after approval from a bank officer......it's the only way. Your accounts can be wiped out overnight or a month later as they wait until you make or receive a large deposit. Don't use any atm's in Antigua if you can help it. OH and this is trip advisor right?

Want the advice? Follow it, if not keep quiet and risk getting ripped off in a foreign country.......not funny folks.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe atm machines?

There are no safe atm's in Antigua Guatemala nor anywhere else in the country. I was ripped twice via atm, once in Antigua and once in Panajachel. I carry some cash and get cash directly from the teller after approval from a bank officer......it's the only way. Your accounts can be wiped out overnight or a month later as they wait until you make or receive a large deposit. Don't use any atm's in Antigua if you can help it. OH and this is trip advisor right?

Want the advice? Follow it, if not keep quiet and risk getting ripped off in a foreign country.......not funny folks.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe atm machines?

PatG1 - How did you know which ATMs were the ones that caused the problems? I've wondered about that with other posters, too, since sometimes the extractions occur weeks or months after the trip. Sorry for your trouble! I specifically didn't use ATMs in Antigua this trip but didn't have a problem with the ATMs in Pana or San Pedro La Laguna or in Belize. Thanks for posting.

california
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe atm machines?

We will be spending several months in Antigua. You refer to going into the bank and getting money from the teller. What were you using--cash advance on your credit card, atm/debit card, or other? Have seen this method on another site but no one has actually specified what they were using. Thanks for any help.

Edited: 4:17 pm, November 19, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe atm machines?

How about at the GUA airport?

Edited: 5:16 pm, November 27, 2012
8. Re: Safe atm machines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 15, 2013