We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones in Guatemala

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones in Guatemala

We are traveling next week to Antigua for some volunteer work and need to be readily accessible for ill family members. Just found out that my new iPhone will not work in Guatemala. I do own a dual band phone that I purchased to use in Europe. Are SIM cards readily available and how expensive to call the US or to receive calls from the US?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

My wife and I were talking about this last night. We have a new (as of November) Claro phone, and she has her old Movistar phone. We used them both in November. one of our daughters is going to Guatemala Thursday and came over to borrow one of them. We gave her the Movistar phone--it had less dropouts , and better reception in various parts of Guatemala (including our hotel room in Zone 10, where the Claro could not get a signal).

YMMV but that was our experience.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I can't compare to you but you might look in to Tigo as well.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I went with Tigo, because I saw it everywhere I generally travel in Guate.

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I checked out Claro and Movistar website. Both competitive on the prepaid plans voice and internet/data. Anyone has a clue if they sell microsim for the internet/data prepaid plan?? For ipad/iphone???

Brogue, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I too have a question about whether you can get a SIM card for my American IPhone? I was told that you could.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I have a verizon phone and at the time (2011) verizon did not offer coverage in Guatemala. Instead, we used face time on our iphones and ipads. Our hotel and sev businesses had free wifi and it work wonderfully. The best part was that it was totally free. Those in the group without iphones used Skype for pennies.

california
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

Agree with zzmom, facetime is great with no cost. Regarding roaming fee, turn that off. Only use what you need.

Miami, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

You can also recharge the prepaid credit on cell phones in south and central america with a service called ezetop.com. If you recharge in US dollars then the exchange rate difference is huge!

Falls Church Va
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I'm going to Guatemala and I'm going to buy a new cell phone because the i phone is to expensive

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cell phones in Guatemala

I will mention that i had great reception with my ATT Iphone and my Ipad just about everywhere in Guatemala. 3 G worked well even in Tikal and 5 bars everywhere else.I was surprised I had better reception than I have at home in PR.