Hola fellow travelers... Flying into Guatemala city in November on our way to Antigua. My wife and I have decided we'd like to visit Copan on this trip. Have read the horror stories about tours from Antigua leaving at an unheard of 3-4am (I am NOT an early riser..I'd rather have a colonoscopy than get up that early) so I guess it would make since to leave directly from the Guatemala city airport... FYI... we will arrive in Guatemala city around 2-3PM...and I DO NOT want to spend the night in Guatemala city..
So.. what are my options? I can NOT find any information about hotels near the ruins... www info is sketchy at best.. Went to the suggested http://www.hedmanalas.com/ttips.htm site to check their bus schedule and it's as clear as muddy water.
So... from Guatemala airport...
1. how long is the drive (via shuttle or bus) to Copan?
2. Any ideas how much it cost?
3. Is this something I can arrange at the airport? or should I arrange in advance? On line? and with who?
4. Can somebody point me to some links of hotels near the ruins? Any recomendations?
5. Is it easier/cheaper/faster to go back to Guatemala city from Copan before heading to our final destination in Antigua? or just leave the ruins mid day (after a tour) and go straight to Antigua?
6. and what about flights from Guatemala airport to Copan? Has anyone done this? and if so... How much pp?? The idea of multiple 5 hour bus rides doesn't exactly apeal to me..
Yes.. lots of questions but I could find almost no straightforward answers by going back through all the posts...
Any sage advice would be appreciated.. Gracias...