We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

Fairview, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

Hola fellow travelers... Flying into Guatemala city in November on our way to Antigua. My wife and I have decided we'd like to visit Copan on this trip. Have read the horror stories about tours from Antigua leaving at an unheard of 3-4am (I am NOT an early riser..I'd rather have a colonoscopy than get up that early) so I guess it would make since to leave directly from the Guatemala city airport... FYI... we will arrive in Guatemala city around 2-3PM...and I DO NOT want to spend the night in Guatemala city..

So.. what are my options? I can NOT find any information about hotels near the ruins... www info is sketchy at best.. Went to the suggested http://www.hedmanalas.com/ttips.htm site to check their bus schedule and it's as clear as muddy water.

So... from Guatemala airport...

1. how long is the drive (via shuttle or bus) to Copan?

2. Any ideas how much it cost?

3. Is this something I can arrange at the airport? or should I arrange in advance? On line? and with who?

4. Can somebody point me to some links of hotels near the ruins? Any recomendations?

5. Is it easier/cheaper/faster to go back to Guatemala city from Copan before heading to our final destination in Antigua? or just leave the ruins mid day (after a tour) and go straight to Antigua?

6. and what about flights from Guatemala airport to Copan? Has anyone done this? and if so... How much pp?? The idea of multiple 5 hour bus rides doesn't exactly apeal to me..

Yes.. lots of questions but I could find almost no straightforward answers by going back through all the posts...

Any sage advice would be appreciated.. Gracias...

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

Driving from Guatemala City to Copan is about 7-8 hours.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

Good luck. I've found that this forum does not generate a lot of answers to specific questions. You'll probably be directed to Lonely Planet's thorntree forum, but as that seems geared to the under-25, backpacks-and-bedbugs crowd (and features as well a lot of snarky, dumb-a** comments by those old enough to know better), doubt you'll find the info you need there.

•There are assorted places to stay in the town of Copan Ruinas in Honduras. Check a Moon guide or Lonely Planet book. Even Fodors has good info on this.

•Look at a map. Antigua is approx. one hour west of G. City. In response to your question #5, you might as well go straight to Antigua. Consensus seems to be there is no reason for anyone who does not have to be in G. City to go there ... ever.

•You may have heard that there have been some, er, disturbances in Honduras. I'm not sure whether crossing the border is advisable at this time. You should get in touch with an English-speaking tour agency in Antigua (i.e., Elizabeth Bell or Rainbow Travel Center) and get their take on it.

•You have my sympathies as far as being averse to 4 AM adventures goes. We will probably end up renting a car in Antigua to avoid such rude awakenings.

•Perhaps you should contemplate foregoing Copan and visiting Tikal instead. It is the biggest deal of the big-deal archaeological sites in Guate...and there is a 5:25 PM flight to Flores from the domestic airport in GC. No need to wreck the biorhythms.

I share your frustration, as I have been trying to get specific questions answered on this forum for some time. I make no claims to "sage" expertise (or any other kind), having not been there yet (we leave 8/19), but I am sympathetic to your plight.

Fairview, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

THx for the feedback.. I was kinda figuring out the same thing. I was hoping for more responses. The good news is.. I found a site with virtually all the Copan hotels.. http://www.copanhonduras.org/hotels.htm

FYI.. My wife and I have been to Tikal (wonderful!)and almost every other "major" ruins in the Central Americas and Peru.. all except Copan.

One thing I have decided on.. As Copan has a functioning air strip... we will be flying in or not going at all. My idea of a vacation is not to spend 10+ hours on a bus..ad unlike you.. I don't feel secure renting and driving a car in Honduras. I'm an American and I lived in Guatemala for 6 months... speak fair Spanish, feel comfortable dealing with the locals and even their law enforcement, but even I don't like dealing with Honduran "police" and/or border guards. Have been to Honduras twice before and it was not a pleasant experience. Hate to generalize.. I'm just sayin.

As many will eventually read this post trying to get similar information.. I'll report back with detailed flight info as soon as I find some..

For those who might want info as to bus service. I got the following info from a rep at HedmanAlas.. http://www.hedmanalas.com/(pasted)

Hello:

We have bus service from Guatemala City to Ruins Copan 5:00 am and 9:00 am (duration 5 hours)

The price (one way)

- Service Executive $ 35.00 for person one way and round trip $65.00

- Service Plus: $ 46.00 one way and round trip $ 87.00

We have bus service from Ruins Copan to Antigua Guatemala at 2:30 pm (with 7 hours of duration) make a stop in Guatemala City.

the price are:

Executive Service: $. 41.00 for person round trip $77.00

Plus Service: $. 53.00 for person one way round trip $ 101.00

Executive Service and Plus Service:

The difference is in that the chairs are more comfortable, Pullman seats, (sofa) the snacks are better. TV, Restrooms.

The Following requirements to buy your ticket on line and I will send you the confirmation number:

- date and hour of travel

- full names every passenger (name, middle name, surnames)

- passport numbers

- birth dates

- nationality

- number of credit or debit card to make a charge

- Expiration date of the card

- Type service

The Schedules are the same every day.

Fairview, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

WEll.. here's the latest.. While I can still find no airline on earth that will fly in there.. Not even TACA... the Copan airport does exist...To be continued.

Copan Airport Map

Copan Airport (RUY)

quick overview

airport name: Copan Airport

geographical location: 14° 49' 59" North, 89° 7' 59" West

IATA code: RUY

ICAO code:

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

As far as I know there are no scheduled flights from GC to Copan. Howevr, TAG http://www.tag.com.gt/ingles/destinations.htm might have a chrter flight going that way on the date that you need to fly. Otherwise www.helicopterosdeguatemala.com might get you there also. You could also get there by www.rutasorientales.com but I'm afraid their buses and service might not be exactly what you get with Hedman Alas. Good luck.

Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

I did a version of this trip two years ago, and like you I wanted to minimize my time on busses. What I ended up doing was flying into San Pedro Sula, Honduras, on American Airlines (via Miami). It was no harder and no more expensive than flying into Guatemala City. From the airport (via the downtown terminal in San Pedro) it was about 3 1/2 hours (I think) on a very comfortable Hedman Alas bus to Copan.

I loved Copan! Very interesting ruins, lovely little town. I stayed two days in a wonderful place about 30 minutes walk from the ruins called Hacienda San Lucas. It's on Tripadvisor -- and every bit as nice as people say. Really magical. The staff can give you all the info you need on coming and going by bus.

From there, I went on to Guatemala City on Hedman Alas bus. Left at a decent hour (mid-day), very comfortable, though certainly not a short ride. Maybe 5 1/2 hours. It would only have been another 45 minutes to Antigua, but I opted for an overnight in Guatemala City. At the end of my trip I flew out of Guatemala City.

Fairview, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

OK..Here's the final post on the subject.. Good news.. I found flights!!!..

Many, like myself, would prefer flying from Guatemala City to Copan in order to avoid the dreaded 5 hour bus rides and 3-4am starts... at least us "sane" individuals.

After tons of my prerequisite anal research I came up with at least one flight option.. it's NOT ideal but at least it is an option.. I should mention.. I have NOT or will not take advantage of this flight service as frankly.. it's not in my budget, but I'm posting this hard earned info for those who like me wanted a flight option...

I was pointed to TAG Airlines by a previous poster. After a week of back and forth with the CEO (who speaks fair English)... here is what I found out.

Airline: http://www.tag.com.gt/indexoriginal.php

Flight Schedule & Pricing: www.tag.com.gt/ingles/regular_flights.htm

I spoke exclusively (via email) with a Mr. Marlon Reyes at reservaciones@tag.com.gt

Here's the deal... They have not updated their website since Bush was in office.. the pre-Iraq war Bush. Price for the Guatemala to Copan flight is NOT $170 as listed.. it's now $370US PP.

Tag Airline offices are NOT located in the Guatemala Int Airport.. They are located at the Guatemala City National Airport. How far this is from the Int airport? No idea, but I was told that if you book flights with them, they will pick you up and take you to the National airport for your flight to Copan.

Also.. the airport that Tag flies into near Copan is (if I understood him correctly) 35 miles from Copan Ruinas.. the city near the ruins so the $370pp INCLUDES transfers to and from the air strip.

The flight into Copan is an in/out same day affair. Meaning.. you can't leisurely fly in one day..explore the ruins... spend the night.. explore during the next day.. then fly back to Guatemala city.

Hope this helps.. BTW.. NO.. I have no affiliation with the airlines or Mr. Reyes.. I wish I did as I now face one of those dreaded 10 hour R/T bus rides and 2:30am wake up calls.. Geezz....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

For those of you worried about traveling to Honduras...my daughter and I made the trip to Copan in July and had no problems. No problems crossing the border at all, especially since we went on Hedman Alas and that really expedites the procedure.

We stayed at the Stofella Hotel in GC and found it very convenient to Hedman Alas for the early departure. We stayed at the Posada Real in Copan and loved the beautiful grounds. Also, some of the best food on our entire trip was there.

We did pay for a guide at the ruins and were glad we did because we would have missed some sections and would not have been sure where to go without one.

My daughter, who is 17, loved the trip. We did not have any problems anywhere.

9. Re: Guatemala Airport to Copan then Antigua: Lots of Questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 19, 2010