We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikal Inn, Tikal National Park

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Tikal Inn, Tikal National Park

I am not a travel agency, tour guide, relative or friend of management or employees at the Tikal Inn.

That said, I have nothing but praise for the TI. I am posting it under Antigua since it seems to be the most Web-trodden TA page for Guatemala

Folks:

I was the chaperone for a group of fourteen of my 15 year-old high school students from St. Albans, a private school in Washington DC. TACA airlines (don't fly Taca; they'll bump you in a heartbeat !!! take TAG instead) bumped us from both of our flights into and out of Flores from Guatemala City. Our 6:30 flight was re-booked to 10; we left at 11. Our return flight at 5pm was rebooked to 7:30. Net net this meant that we missed our shuttle connection from Flores to Tikal, our morning guided tour of Tikal, and the return 2 pm shuttle the next day. We arrived sweaty and late for lunch at the Tikal Inn, where we had booked overnight accommodations.

To cut to the chase, the Tikal Inn salvaged our trip. They processed our rooms post haste and compensated us from start to finish for every blunder that was Taca's doing. First, the Tikal Inn fed us a late lunch. Second, at dinner that night, Elia, the manager, personally came over to our table and apologized for all the Taca snafus that were unrelated to the hotel. She had also sent us a letter of introduction when we checked in, again apologizing for everything that went wrong. Third, Elia also hooked us up with Roxana Ortiz, who was the BEST guide I have ever had anywhere in the world, no holds barred. Her sunrise tour of Tikal was terrific beyond words; even my sophisticated private school travelers were in utter awe of her command of the ruins. Roxy made it instructive, fun and riveting. Roxy, by the way, is also the interim manager of the Tikal Inn, and she was instrumental in cutting us a break here and there.

Fourth, Elia and Roxy re-arranged our entrance fee into the Tikal park as well as our return shuttle to Flores even though they were bound to do neither. When we left Tikal on the 4pm shuttle, Elia climbed on to the van to wish us goodbye, as if we were old friends (by that time I felt like we were!).

Apart from the wonderful treatment we received, the Tikal Inn is a spectacular place to stay. Remember: you are in the middle of a tropical rain forest and you cannot hold any hotel to the standards that perhaps one might expect of the Camino Real in Flores, where there is electricity 24/7 and air conditioning. You are in the middle of a national park with spectacular ruins; this hotel does an A+ job of providing the very best service it can given its location in the middle of nowhere. The rooms are huge and well-fiurnished; just don't expect Aveda bath products over the sink. The hot water is abundant and this is the only place in Guatemala where I had a full-length mirror! The lights go out at 10 pm, so bring a flashlight.

The food at the restaurant is not the rip-off that often characterizes hotels in the middle of nowhere where you and they know you are a captive audience; food at the Tikal Inn is abundant and surprisingly good considering the circumstances.

The pool around which many of the rooms are located is clean, big and inviting.

Most importantly, the staff, starting with Elia, was wonderful; they handled my 14 boybarians with courtesy and aplomb. They also make a mean cocktail!

Again, part of what you are paying for is the ability to sleep in a good hotel located a three-minute walk from the entrance to the Tikal ruins. I've been at Machu Picchu, Galapagos, etc. and believe me, this is as good as it gets considering the limitations. Given the choice between five-star accommodations in Flores and the Tikal Inn in Tikal there is no question that I would again opt for th latter; being in the Tikal National Park gives you the opportunity to spend hours roaming the ruins, which indeed is what some of my students did, over and over again. When asked the highlight of their 18-day stay in Guatemala, most of them recalled Tikal. Roxy and Elia were huge contributors to my students' memories.

PS The Tikal Inn even has WiFi for $5 per thirty minutes but, heck, you're at Tikal; enjoy the place!

Filadelfia Coffee Resort & Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikal Inn, Tikal National Park

Thanks for sharing. Glad everything went well, except for the way you were treated by TACA. BTW I haven't read any complaints about TAG.

Ontario
Level Contributor
620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tikal Inn, Tikal National Park

As I posted on you TACA entry:

Yes, the Tikal Inn management and staff are great!!! If they are reading this, it is coming from one of those " so YOU are the Canadians!!" Thanks, roadside hawk.

3. Re: Tikal Inn, Tikal National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 02, 2010