We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South beach and other beaches

Boston MA
Level Contributor
308 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
South beach and other beaches

We're headed over for vacation soon. I hear the water temp today at South Beach is around 69 - does that seem to true to any of you who are there? Also is there much "mung" in the water and washing up? How are the waves? (Of course, I realize all of this can vary from day to day ... just daydreaming about my upcoming vacation.)

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
935 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South beach and other beaches

The water is cool, but feels nice when it's hot out. Not much seaweed floating around South Beach and the waves were about 4ft yesterday. Here is the surf report link http://www.whoi.edu/mvco

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South beach and other beaches

We just returned from MV, and spent three days of our week at the beach. The water temp was indeed around 69, as this was posted at South Beach on Friday afternoon when we were there. It is cold when you first get in - no question about it, but after a few minutes you adjust to the temp and it is refreshing, not chilling. As for gunk on the beach - nothing much at South Beach, a bit of seaweed at State Beach (which I preferred over South Beach), but closer to OB there was a lot of stuff washing in, and it even smelled bad. We had no problems at either State or South Beach. Waves on South Beach were perfect on Friday, and our pre-teen kids were able to boogey-board with no problems. Others on the beach told us the waves had been dangerous earlier in the week when the winds were high, but by Friday they had died down and it was very manageable. There is also a white board posted at the entrance to South Beach listing conditions and warnings, so check that out when you arrive, and keep an eye on small kids or weak swimmers and you will be fine. Enjoy your stay!

3. Re: South beach and other beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 17, 2015
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor