We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

This summer my family of four are planning on doing a day trip to Martha's Vineyard from Cape Cod. We are staying in Dennis Port and plan on taking the Steamship Authority from Woods Hole to Vineyard Haven because it's the cheapest option.

We are not taking our car therefore I'm wondering what there is to do in Vineyard Haven and how easy is it to get to Edgartown. We want to see the gingerbread houses and the carousel. We also wouldn't mind visiting Gayhead to see the lighthouse and cliffs. Is there a good beach to go to in Vineyard Haven or Edgartown?

I'll be honest, I haven't researched Martha's Vineyard much yet as I've been busy with Cape Cod, so I hope I'm not asking redundant questions, although I probably am. Basically, I'm just wondering how easy transportation will be around the island with a 12 and 4 year old and if it's costly and what people would suggest doing on the island while we're there.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Oops, reading this back I think I put Edgartown instead of Oak Bluffs. Oak Bluffs is where the gingerbread houses and carousel are right? Any reason to go to Edgartown?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Yes, yes & yes. There is easy bus transportation between Vineyard Haven & Oak Bluffs & Edgartown. You can walk to the Gingerbread Cottages from the bus stop in about 10 minutes, the carousel in about 3 minutes. State Beach is on the road in between OB & Edgartown, very easy to access. You should visit Edgartown because it is a beautiful old whaling town with wonderful houses & gardens as well as a lighthouse & harbor. Here's the link for the bus system:

vineyardtransit.com/pages/vta_schedule/dates

If you want to go out to the cliffs, I would suggest hiring a tour van otherwise, it will take too much time out of your day to try to do it on the bus.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Thank you for the tips and for the transit info :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

also, the ferry goes to OB as well as VH. Just depends on which departure time you choose.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Doesn't the Steamship Authority just go from Woods Hole to Vineyard Haven?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

In the summer the Steamship Authority has service to both, other times of year just Vineyard Haven.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Ok great, thanks!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

This may sound funny, but rough of a ride is it from Woods Hole to Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs? My husband and I don't deal well with motion sickness, but I figured the ride won't be too long and we should be fine, is that right to assume?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

No, it is not. It is a very large boat and a short trip. I am prone to sea sickness & have never had a problem on this ferry. You should be fine. ( I would not recommend a whale watch, tho!)

Edited: 6:10 pm, January 15, 2014
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer day trip - Vineyard Haven

Ok that's what I figured thanks! Definitely no whale watching for us.