We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Help in MV

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Help in MV

My fiance and I are planning at least a four day trip to Marthas Vineyard in the beginning of August, after our wedding.

I know this is high season for the area. I've never been there before, however, and I'm not sure what to expect.

We have really been looking at Edgartown and Oak Bluffs, but I am wondering, just HOW crowded will these areas be? I mean, I don't think we want to be out in the middle of no where, as we would like to be somewhere where there could be at least a bit of night life. I've heard Oak Bluffs has more going on at night, and Edgartown is more crowded, but more to do in general. Will this be true in August or will they be about the same?

What waterfront lodging options would you recommend? I seem to have found so many places with great reviews, my head is spinning!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

Hi, August is probably the busiest month of all on the Vineyard. Edgartown, OB & Vineyard Haven are all crowded. Parking is tough in the main towns, but you really don't need a car if you are staying in town for four nights.

The Harborside Inn is centrally located and accessible to everything

http://theharborsideinn.actwin.com/

If you don't want to deal with crowds you can stay somewhere like Menemsha. However, the catch is that cabs and/or cars on the Island are very pricey.So, really it is up to you which you prefer. I think the Vineyard is a wonderful place for a honeymoon and that you will enjoy it, but you will have to make the choice as to whether where the people are or somewhere more tranquil.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

Okay, thanks for explaining the area a bit to me. I'm thinking that then we would probably want to be where the crowds are. We are driving, and having our car taken over on a ferry, but I don't want to spend time driving around looking for parking spaces, because there is nothing near where our hotel/inn is.

Thank you! I'll check out that inn you recommended also!

MV2
NJ
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

I agree with what Kendrick told you. I think Edgartown is your best choice. The Harborside is right smack in the middle of Edgartown, close to everything and it's charming and beautiful. There's also the Harbor VIEW hotel but that's further out of the center of town. Check them both out at. If you want something more like a bed & breakfast then I'd suggest The Victorian Inn or the Hob Knob.

www.mvol.com

Oak Bluffs is fun and has more night life but it can be a little too crowded at times. It's easy enough to get from town to town by the VTA bus system so don't worry about things like driving and parking.

By the way, you mention taking your car over on the ferry... DO YOU HAVE RESERVATIONS YET? Those are very important, especially in August.

http://web1.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and enjoy the Vineyard, it's a perfect spot for a honeymoon.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
967 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

August is the height of the summer season, so it will be the most croweded. This also means you'll have everything open, running at full speed, events for tourists to take advantage of and plenty of people watching. You'll still be able to walk down the street (maybe at a slow pace), find a parking space (though you may drive around the block a few extra times) and get a dinner reservation (early or late booking only if you don't plan ahead).

The three main towns are equally congested with pedestrians and traffic. Careful planning will help keep you moving. Generally the traffic is thick as everyone is going to the beach and coming home from the beach. Rainy days are bumper to bumper.

Few accommodations on the island are on the water. Harborside, as mentioned before, is on the Edgartown harbor, with a pool, no beach, and very mixed reviews. Be sure to ask about the hotel or Inn parking available. Both Oak Bluffs and Edgartown are nice, and as you probably have learned most people have their favorite. I personally like both. They are so different. Edgartown more sedate and refined, with few bars, no music and only two restaurants on the harbor. (one poor and the other brand new, so unknown) Oak Bluffs is definitely more lively with a relaxed atmosphere, music, more bars, a town beach, eclectic food choices, a lively harbor even at night and a younger feel.

You may find that staying in a place within walking distance to the beach is a good option.

There's still plenty of space left open on the ferry, but be aware weekend dates for the summer sell out first.

Narrow your choices down, read the reviews and go with what feels the best. You can't go wrong. Have fun!

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

Agree with other posts. You should definitely target Edgartown. Although it can also be crowded, it's not nearly as crazy as Oak Bluffs. Important to realize the ferries go into OB and Vineyard Haven, so get more people passing through (and staying). They are nice to visit, but we always prefer to 'escape' to Edgartown area (actually Katama).

Staying in Edgartown also has you closer to better beaches, including South Beach.

Menemsha is a wonderful place to visit, but you definitely will feel like you're "in the middle of no where".

Have fun!

US
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

i agree with other posters that edgartown would be your best bet. depending on how much you can spend, i would suggest the ashley inn. i stayed there in august of 2007 and it was perfect for what we needed. close enough to all the shops and restaurants but farther up main street, so we were able to enjoy some peace and quiet after a day of walking around/biking/shopping/eating. they have parking on the property as well, and they serve a delicious hot breakfast every morning. the owners live right next door, and the staff were very helpful and friendly. another place to check out (if money is no object) is the hob knob inn. it's very pricey but it's beautiful. good luck!!

7. Re: Honeymoon Help in MV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 22, 2009