We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

US
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

I have car reservations in August at bad times (10pm on a Sat and 7:15pm on a Tues). Have been on the waitlist for weeks hoping that something will open up earlier in the day, but no luck yet. Am wondering if we should just show up hours ahead of time and wait in line--but the steamship authority website says they don't accept standby vehicles in the summer. Is this true?? I'm hearing reports from some people that you can get bumped if you show up early enough, so I'm confused. Don't want to show up in Woods Hole at the crack of dawn if there's no chance of getting on an earlier ferry! Please advise!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Woods Hole
Woods Hole
Falmouth, MA
Martha's Vineyard...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

I believe sat is a "day of sail" non standby day, but tuesday may be.

Typically nothing moves on the waitlist until 1-4 days before...not much gets moved a week or more out.

Best bet would be to sweat out the waitlist, if you dont get moved you can continue to call the day before or day of and you will likley have some success.

Hang in there....tues should be easier

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

There are certainly no guarantees, but we've always had great success with waitlists. Even on weekends in August. Surprised you haven't been able to improve your times at all. Must be very busy days.

Do you have any flexibility to move from Saturday to a weekday? That would certainly help.

We've also had no problems just arriving earlier and getting ferries after reasonable waits (both directions). I can see how that is risky though as very dependent on the people at the ferry dock that day. Maybe some are less flexible than others. They may also be tightening up the policy this year.

Very dependent on who is with you and whether you have a backup plan in place (and are tolerant, in general).

Good luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall that last summer, I couldn't get ANYTHING over to the island. I decided to take a chance and drove down that morning, anyways. On the way down, I called the SSA and they gave me a "day of sailing" number I'd never seen listed anywhere. I called it and ... voila .. I was put right on a boat the minute I pulled up. Unbelievable. Of course, it could have gone the other way, but the point is that I think there is some "special" number you can call the day of sailing and they MIGHT be able to squeeze you in. Good luck.

PS 7:15 on a Tuesday isn't so bad ... you'll get to spend the whole day on the island and miss any traffic heading home!!

4. Re: Woods Hole Ferry to MV- Standby in Summer??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, October 04, 2009