We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....

jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
260 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....

Heading to the vineyard next week and have some questions for the locals/experts. Our family will be renting a house in Edgartown so questions are mostly around that locale:

1. Best place to buy groceries (we will be there for a week so need lots)

2. Best place to rent bikes for the week. Favorite bike rides?

3. Best happy hours and favorite restaurants (we like all foods especially seafood and favor healthy foods))

4. Best beaches (nearby favored but have a car)

5. Local laws that need to be followed (ie, drinking on the beach?, etc)

It has been over 20 years since I have been to the vineyard and really looking forward to it.

Thanks, JCK

Mentioned in this post
Edgartown
Edgartown
Martha's Vineyard, MA
3 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....

OK, I'll start with no. 3. Happy hour is not allowed in Massachusetts as to liquor, but often there can be food specials. Restaurants -- they change a bit from year to year. I don't have favorites for this year yet. There is a "food scene" on the island, so you might look up a bunch of things to see if there are farm dinners or other special food events while you are there.

No. 1. There are two main places to get food in Edgartown. The supermarket is (oh, let's see) I think it is Stop and Shop. There is really only one supermarket in town, although the other towns have them too. One of my favorite is in Vineyard Haven, might be worth a trip -- Cronig's.

The other food shop of any substance back in Edgartown is the Morning Glory Farm Stand. It is big for a farm stand, and has much more than fruits and veg. They have baked goods, cheese, some pasta, some sauces, etc. It's quite charming to visit, and they really do grow a lot. You can certainly get enough things there to make a meal, but not a full service supermarket.

No. 2. We often rent from a place on Main Street but I cannot recall the name. Possibly Edgartown Bicycle. It's not far from the Dairy Queen. They are very nice. But I think a lot of the places are run on similar lines. Favorite bike ride? Two: bike path between Edgartown and Oak Bluffs is spectacular. Also, you can stop and go to one of the best beaches on the island, State Beach.

Second favorite bike path is the one from Edgartown south to South Beach, and this path also goes the breadth of South Beach (on the road). You could bike back going up a slightly different way than you went down, but the road then returns to take you back into downtown Edgartown.

No. 4. I'm no expert, but the two really large beaches that are public are State Beach (technically in Oak Bluffs, or maybe straddles the OB - Edgartown border), and also South Beach is a must. Also, if you go across to Chappaquiddick, and head way out to Wasque Point (you have to pay a fee) the beach and the ocean and the sense of being far away are really great. You'll see some kayakers and fishermen, and perhaps some birdwatchers too.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Edgartown
Edgartown
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Vineyard Haven
Vineyard Haven
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Morning Glory Farm
Morning Glory Farm
148 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard, MA
South Beach
South Beach
397 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Chappaquiddick
Chappaquiddick
250 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
260 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....

No happy hour? How un-American! lol Thanks for your answers ... very helpful.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....

Some excellent restaurants: Detente, Atria, Sweet Life, Garde East and State Rd. I love the restaurant at the Cliffs in Aquinnah for the world's best outdoor dining room. I get breakfast there whenever I can.

Some excellent beaches that you are allowed to go on: State Beach from Edgartown to Oak Bluffs (warmest), Menemsha, and the beach at Aquinnah. I also recommend the Cape Poge lighthouse tour.

Mentioned in this post
Atria
Atria
381 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Sweet Life
Sweet Life
240 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Aquinnah
Aquinnah
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Edgartown
Edgartown
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Reply to: Edgartown visit next week ... some questions .....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted