We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Nantucket or stay/explore Mid and Lower Cape?

Waltham, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Nantucket or stay/explore Mid and Lower Cape?

Hi all,

We have a 4 year old and are expecting a child in a month. We'll be spending a long weekend in Dennis and wanted to take a trip for the day to Nantucket but can't decide whether it's worth the expense or better to stick on the cape and explore the national seashore beaches and the Lower Cape. If we do make it out to Nantucket, we'd take the fast ferry. Can anyone tell me whether the island is explorable by foot (stroller) and shuttle? Can we cover and see a fair bit between 9 and 4? If not, between 9 and 8? If we do Friday, we'd have to cut it short, and Sunday we'd take a longer day. Not really into shopping, want do do some walking and see some exceptional beaches. What do you suggest???

Thanks so much.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Nantucket or stay/explore Mid and Lower Cape?

Stay on the Cape.

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Nantucket or stay/explore Mid and Lower Cape?

Nantucket is worth it. You will not be able to stroll to the best beaches but there is a childrens beach within a short walk. Shuttles can take you to beautiful beaches, Surfside, Cisco, etc.. Town is great to stroll, docks, great stores, "Juice Guys" smoothies..well worth it. The town itselk is beautiful with cobblestone Main St., nothing like it on Cape. Stay on brick sidewalks with the stroller. Childrens beach (not tgreat for swimming) but lots of green grass to run, playground and best doughnuts (Downey Flake) in the World.

Take fast boat if can, 1 hr v. 2 1/4. Past childrens beach can walk to Brandt Point Lighthouse (I'm sure you have seen a picture of this..) Jetty's beach is nice for swimming and prob 20 min walk from town.

Been there, done that with kids. Go a few times/year. Town can get a little crowded in peak season. Whaling museum right in town pretty good, my 4 year old liked it!!

Have fun, good luck