We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
2 posts
Save Topic
3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

We have 3 days in August in our vacation schedule to visit either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. I'm 30 and traveling with my mom - we enjoy shopping, tours and the typical 'touristy' attractions. Which do you suggest visiting over the other? and what do you suggest as top attractions to do and see?

Westborough...
Level Contributor
8 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but they are definitely very different places. Here's some things to think about to help you make your decision 1) Nantucket is a further ferry ride, its almost double what it takes to get to MVA; 2) Nantucket is a MUCH more expensive island to visit than MV generally speaking 3) Where on the cape will you be when you want to leave for one of the islands? Woods Hole which is at the beginning of the cape takes you over to MVA or Hyannis or Harwichport takes you to Nantucket. 4) Nantucket is much smaller than MVA and you can easily see it in 3 days MV is much bigger and has several very different areas. 5)If you go to Nantucket and you don't have a car I would recommend staying at the white elephant great down town location with unbelievable service. If you go to MV there are a lot more lodging choices throughout several of the towns. Edgertown is the closest feel to Nantucket very historic and quaint. If you go in August to MV try and time it to illuminations in Oak Bluffs it is not to be missed.

atlanta, georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

hi thanks for the info! we just booked airfare round trip to Boston in early October--so have 1 week and plan to rent a car and try to do as much as we can in a feel--so i will look at what you have suggested and appreciate any other recommendations. thanks again.

Canton, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

How long are the Ferry rides to each Island?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

Depends on where you are leaving from & whether or not you take a fast ferry. If you google "ferry to Martha's Vineyard" all the various options will come up.

Cape
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

nantucket has one "town" therefore once you get off the ferry you are there. Martha's Vineyard is more spread out and you definitely need transportation around the island. I definitely think Nantucket is easier to get around. check out a nice b&b in Nantucket you will not regret it. There are shops, restaurants, tours, walk to Jetties beach or take a bus tour around the island. good luck

6. Re: 3 Days Open - Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 21, 2014