We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nantucket day trip

Kansas CIty, MO
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Nantucket day trip

Coming to Nantucket in August for a day trip.

Could someone give me some good ideas for things to see within walking distance of where the ferry lands? Looking for Nantucket history, photo ops, Coleman family history, etc.

Also, best (and economical) ferry to take over.

Thank you.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nantucket day trip

I assume that you mean that you are going to Nantucket for the day. But from where? Will you be on Cape Cod?

Kansas CIty, MO
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nantucket day trip

We will be visiting the Boston area. Just going to Nantucket for a day trip, probably take the ferry out of Hyannis.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nantucket day trip

If you have a car then you can drive to Hyannis and take the ferry to Nantucket but there is also a ferry departing from Harwich (Harwichport). www.nantucketislandferry.com with Freedom Cruise Line.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nantucket day trip

most economical with your time will be a fast ferry. I will let more experienced folks tell you what to do, see but the whole town is walking distance from the ferry and then you can take a bus tour around the island. You know Nantucket is much further than MV for a day trip. From Falmouth, MV is only 45 minutes and cost is very little.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nantucket day trip

Certainly Nantucket is lovely for it's charm, beaches, dining for those staying for a longer visit. My impression from a couple of day trips over the years is that there really is not too much of interest that can be fit into a day trip. Maybe that's good since so much time is spent on the ferry to get there and back (vs. MV from Falmouth which is 35 minutes) but you CAN fly over too which would save you time.

The ferry lands you right in town. Everyone goes to the whaling museum. www.nha.org You can also shop up and down the charming cobblestoned Main St., look into the art galleries, boutiques and book stores and perhaps buy one of the famed lightship baskets at Michael Kaene on Sparks, or Bill and Judy Sayle on Wash. St. ext or, for a miniature version, the Golden Basket on Main St. you can even visit www.nantucketlightshipbasketmuseum.org. Okay, enough about that.

You'll certainly work up an appetite after all your shopping in the charming and upscale stores. Nantucket has the most fine dining compressed into one area in the country. This haute cuisine means that $50 entrees are common in these 60+ restaurants. You can be sure that you'll get a good meal. There are a handful that offer top value for lower prices like www.americanseasons.com

You might want to take an island tour and see the highlights once you finish up the downtown area. You can go with Nantucket Island Tours, Barrett's Tours, www.arastours.com for a 90 minute tour, or www.thetrustees.org for a 150 minute natural history tour. Of course you can rent bikes or a car/jeep too and tour around on your own but then you'll miss the commentary and the driver will have to watch the road instead of the scenery.

Here's the website for the Visitor's Info: www.nantucket-ma.gov and the chamber is www.nantucketchamber.org

Have fun. If you think of it how about dropping a few lines about your Nantucket visit onto the forum when you return home. I'm sure you'll be more positive than I have managed to be but I hope this is of some help to you.

Edited: 9:40 am, July 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nantucket day trip

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29527-d53…

I forgot to mention the Historical tour as an alternate to the island tour. Here's a link to a TripAdvisor comment.

7. Re: Nantucket day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 05, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Nantucket
Recent Conversations