We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nantucket in August,

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Nantucket in August,

first time traveling to Nantucket. Mom and 3 teens. Looking for inexpensive nice accomodations, nothing fancy. Any suggestions?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nantucket in August,

Inexpensive, Nantucket, and August?. Those three words usually don't go together very well.

The only thing I can tell you is Nantucket is most always an expensive place to visit in August. It's the peak of tourist season there, and there's just not a whole bunch of places to stay to choose from on the island. Many of the better places are booked out well in advance. What's left over will still induce sticker shock when you see what they want per night. You mentioned nice and inexpensive. Inexpensive can mean different amounts to different people.

I don't want to discourage you, but I just want you to be prepared if you expect to travel there in peak season looking for a place for a $100 or even $200 a night. It's probably not going to happen.

I'll leave you the Nantucket chamber of commerce website that lists all the hotels, B&B's, Inns, Apartment and cottage rentals and guest houses. Browse through the listings and make some calls if something catches you eye.

nantucketchamber.org/directory/…index.html

Edited: 12:58 am, June 18, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nantucket in August,

As mentioned, Nantucket in August is very expensive, One relatively affordable option is the hostel in Surfside. They do take families, and the location is great - right across from a spectacular beach, and an easy bike or shuttle ride into town. It's popular with groups of all kinds, and the bike rental places will drop off and pick up bikes for everyone. hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI---Nantucket-060…

Brooklyn, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nantucket in August,

I guess I should have said least expensive! I understand that Nantucket is pricey.. Have been looking online at the different options. Its one of those trips I have always wanted to do and think my teens would love it. Plan on working some overtime to pay for it. Not willing or able to pay 350 a night, but understand that I will be looking at mid to high 200's. Would be staying 3 nighrs if it all works out. We dont need anything fancy. Basically clean, comfortable and near town. Want to ride our bikes, go to the beach and enjoy the shops. thanks for any info!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nantucket in August,

Since you are planning on working overtime to afford the accomodation, hopefully you will put some serious cash aside for food and trinkets unless you plan to bring alot of your own food. I've only been there once for a day trip to bike and check out the beaches and could not believe how much food cost. So be prepared for that cost too. BTW, we tried twice to find accomodations under $300 a night to chip in towards a gift certificate for two separate newlywed couples for a romantic weekend or whatever and couldn't find anything!! Pretty place, tough to afford!

New York City
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nantucket in August,

We definitely saved money by renting a cottage and being able to cook - breakfasts and BBQing mostly. Nantucket is a laid back place and part of fun is having your own space to just hang out in - at least for us New Yorkers who don't have our own yards with webers back home. One other specific suggestion - since I've just returned from eating there - is DO NOT eat at Corazon del Mar - it is horrible food at outrageous prices. Go to Provisions, Even Keel, Something Natural, American Seasons - all delicious and some even bargain priced.

buffalo NY
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nantucket in August,

When I lived on Nantucket over 15 years ago, the least expensive rooms were at the Nesbitt Inn on Broad Street, conveniently located just up the street from the boat dock (the Steamship Authority, not the HyLine or the faster boats). It is no frills, with shared baths.

Telephone numbers:

508/228-0156, 508/228-2446

The inn does not have a web site. You can find reviews and more information on this web site and other travel sites.

Have a great time.

Nantucket
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nantucket in August,

Don't dispare... the Carraige House, Barnacle Inn, Captains Cottages, and Woodbox Inn, all have rates under $200 in August.

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nantucket in August,

Carriage House? Ick.

New York City
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nantucket in August,

Since posting this I've spoken with the owner and she is such a gracious and nice person that I am going to give her restaurants another try. She truly cares about providing a great experience which I know sounds a little canned but I really felt she cared and wants to constantly improve her restaurants and that is a cool thing.

Boston, MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nantucket in August,

I went to Nantucket for the first time and for the life of me cannot figure out why its so expensive. Its boring, small and stuffy. However, we stayed at the Woodbox Inn. It was $150/night in September. Not worth $150, but then again its Nantucket and nothing there is worth that much, but expect to pay more.

Anyways, the Inn was ok, it was fine for an overnight but the owner was meh like the rest of the island and nowhere to be found. The housekeeper showed up to our room, no signing, no receipts...nothing. Very close to downtown though!

Edited: 8:01 pm, September 23, 2010