We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing?

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing?

Hi there, I'm coming up to ACK to visit family and would like to do some sailing while there.

is there any rental or charter companies?

or is there a sailing club on the island?

thanks Bill in Ft Lauderdale.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Nantucket
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing?

Your best option for a sail it yourself boat is Nantucket Community Sailing. http://www.nantucketcommunitysailing.org If by chance you aren’t staying with family while on the island as luck would have it there are 8 B&B's that have struck a deal with Nantucket Community Sailing / for this upcoming season. The inns, at their discretion may offer you a free day pass which entitles you to free use of the facilities at The Jetties Beach Sailing Center for the day. Sailboats that are available range from Sunfish and Lasers to Marshall Cats and Rhodes 19’s Of course you must be checked out on whatever boat you wish to sail. They have kayaks too. This is a really good deal that only a limited number of inns can offer. They include Cliff Lodge, Martin House, Seven Sea St. Inn, Centerboard, Carlisle House, Hawthorn House, Brass Lantern, and Cobblestone Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Jetties Beach
Jetties Beach
215 Reviews
Nantucket, MA
ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing?

Ok, looks like I picked the right week...

regatta time in ACK!

anyone need crew?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing?

Maybe post a "looking for crew?" post on Craigslist. Cape and Islands has a board.

Nantucket
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing?

If you are here for race week community sailing will know who to contact regarding crewing opportunities related to your sailing experience. Check the bulletin board at the yacht club for more crewing opportunities for the Saturday one-design series.

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing?

update: I spent a week there 8/8/09 -8/16/09

we rented sailboats at the nantucket sailing community - rhodes 19. at 145/2 hours.

it was actually about 3 hours, because we needed to right and break down the boat ourselves, and it took about 30 min each.

its located at jetties beach, which is about 200 yds from the road on a sand path. we were shuttled out to the boat by skiff, so we needed to get our feet wet.

the NCS is run by kids, and a somewhat lax attitude. so you are kinda on your own. we did ask for some assistance rigging the boat, but the HS aged kid must have forgotten, so I figured it out on my own.

I would recommend the NCS, but the boats were kinda beat up, and there is no dock to load unload. the stb jib cleat (spring) was shot, but we made it work.

they also rent a laser, sunfish, and some kayaks.

overall it was a postive experience, and they offer training, but renting a larger 15'cat boat or the 19' sloop would be only recommended for experienced sailors. - we were also restricted to the harbor, no going outside! we bumped the bottom a few times, but not a big deal...

thanks for the help here!

6. Re: Sailing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2010