We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place, can't choose!

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
14 posts
Save Topic
Which place, can't choose!

OK, so now I've done a bit of research for September, since it seems to be a great time to go, and I've narrowed it down to the Veranda House, Union Street Inn and Shelburne Inn. I am leaning towards the Veranda House, but not sure if I should book that over the other inns, since the Shelburne got great reviews too. The Veranda seems more new/modern.....but I can't choose! Is the Shelburne a no brainer? Anyone have an opinion on where to stay? It's hard to tell from the websites sometimes since they all sound good. I am nervous to book because they all have such strict reservation policies.....

ackny
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which place, can't choose!

Nantucket is not modern, but some of the places are trying to become modern. Look for places to stay that are still preserving a Nantucket feel, history, with a lot of sitting area, and not right downtown. It is very noisy, crowded especially in high season. Also, consider bathroom sizes...some of the inns have closet size bathrooms. Some of our friends' experience was just that...a bath the size of a closet. White Elephant, Harbor House, Century House, are removed from right downtown yet you can still have a nice walk. Also the beaches are close by to these places. Jared Coffin house is not as nice as it used to be, plus the location is right downtown. Hope that helps.

Durham, NH
Level Contributor
5 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which place, can't choose!

Been going to Nantucket for over 20 years every summer and have stayed in most places. Nothing that special about the ones you listed. Best bests are Cliff lodge, martin house. The veranda house is very close to the action on a hill but you have no real views or great verandas like the name implys. For a honeymoon I would stay at the Cliffside beach house or Summer house in Siaconset if you can afford it. Otherwise most of the Inns in the 250-300 range are not that different. Most of the BB's are nicely renovated. My husband is partial to the Jared Coffin house .

nyc
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place, can't choose!

I stayed at the Cliff Lodge last year and thought it was very nice - The bed was incredible!

However, I have not heard great things about it lately and the breakfast wasn't that great.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place, can't choose!

If you are looking for a lovely place to honeymoon... Maybe you might consider renting a home there.

Pros: Cook what you desire to cook. Privacy. More diverse settings. More parking options (many hotels don't offer!) More space. May be able to bring your pet (?)

Cons: You have to cook! You have to clean.

It may even work out to be less $ for your stay. Just depends on what you choose.

But maybe you could check out weneedavacation.com or VRBO.com. Each offers a great variety of locations and spaces.

Enjoy your special stay.

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place, can't choose!

I would be careful about renting a home for your first visit. Stay in a hotel or B&B, and if you think you might want to return again for a week, pick some places and check them out while you're on the island. Get oriented first; otherwise you can get burned. In looking at rentals, consider how you'll get around and whether or not you'll need a car. The need for a car can add $400 to the cost of your rental plus a bunch of hassles.

Be careful also of glowing endorsements of a particular place by people with only one or two posts. Verify their recommendations with the TripAdvisor reviews.

6. Re: Which place, can't choose!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 04, 2009