We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

New York City
14 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Help! I am planning a trip for my husband's birthday in late september. IT is our first time to Nantucket and I am clueless of where to stay. I am open to any and all suggestions! And also, is it too cold in late september to hit the beach? Are there vinyards there we can do?

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Check TripAdvisor's B&B listings and ratings for B&Bs. I prefer the Sherburne Inn, myself. Try to stay in the town in or around the historic district so you'll be close to restaurants, shops and night life. Don't bring a car. It's expensive and unnecessary.

The water will be in the mid to high 60's (similar to early June), so it will be chilly - not much different from the Hamptons at that time of year. The beaches may be nice if it's sunny and not too windy. There won't be lifeguards, but the beaches will be open. They may not have bathroom facilities, though. The shuttles will still run to Madaket and Sconset. You'll need to walk, bike, moped or take a cab to the others. Check www.nantucket.net for a description of the various beaches.

I've never heard of vinyards on the island. They have a beer brewery and vodka distillery, though.

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Madaket Beach
Madaket Beach
226 Reviews
Nantucket, MA
New York City
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

THanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it!

Sounds like many people liked that inn. Would you recommend that over the White Elephant or the other "hotel types?" The problem with those is they seem really pricey. We are more of hotel/spa people I guess....but would you know of any good ones that wouldn't break the bank? Preferrably on the beach too?

Thanks so much!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

It's been a few years since we stayed there, but do recall the Jared Coffin House as being a lovely accommodation and fairly reasonable "out of season" rates.

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Nantucket is not like a lot of other resort areas (e.g., Florida) where the beaches are lined with hotels. Most of the lodging, shops and restaurants are concentrated in the town. The town is on the harbor, which is mostly a marina, so there won't be much beach to speak of.

Three hotels that have beaches are the Cliffside Beach Club, the Summer House and the Wauwinet. The latter two are very expensive and are way out of town, so you'll need to take a shuttle or a $25 cab ride every time you want to go into town for eating, shopping or night life. The CBC is also about 3/4 mile out of town and the beach is on the north shore (no surf). The White Elephant is in town, but fronts on the harbor. Personally, I'd stay in the town and travel to the beaches, rather than vice versa.

The Jared Coffin house used to be a wonderful place provided you got a room in the original historical house. But they are under new ownership, and last year, they suddenly closed their restaurants. No one I talked to knew exactly what was going on. I'd stay there only if you can get a good recommendation from someone who has stayed there this summer and can attest to its current condition (and you can get a room in the main house).

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
ackny
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

One of the best places to stay on the island is Century House. The location is superb, close to downtown, walking distance to the beach. It's clean, luxurious and has a lot of sitting area outside. Definitely recommend it.

Bedford, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

We've stayed at several places over the years...Beachside, Harbor House, Pineapple Inn, Wauwinett and Jared Coffin House. Jared Coffin used to be my favorite but it seems to be getting bad reviews since the consortium took it over. We're going to give it another try next week. I'll let you know how it goes....otherwise I'd suggest one of the smaller in town Inns. Quite honestly the whole Island seems to have gone downhill since it became a billionaire's retreat. The character is being lost as they all try to bring New York out to the Island

Mentioned in this post
new jersey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

What did you decide to do? My husband and I are going to Nantucket September 14-17 and staying at the White Elephant. I have heard nothing but good thigs about it. Hope you are happy with your choice.

8. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 08, 2009